Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is this problem my end?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 23:21 
Esoteric

For some reason every image i have posted from my photobucket including my sig has been replaced with image in text.

Is this a problem my end? because I'm having serious computer problems atm.

Thanke

Post subject: Re: Is this problem my end?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:35 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

JohnCoffey wrote:
For some reason every image i have posted from my photobucket including my sig has been replaced with image in text.

Is this a problem my end? because I'm having serious computer problems atm.

Thanke

Problem your end. I can see the sig fine.

What browser? It's probably set to only display cached images or something, and using the alt text.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:44 
Esoteric

I ran some registry cleaner and I think it deleted all the cache and cookies.. Odd..

Typical having PC problems on NYE. Fallout 3 refused to load so I uninstalled it (kept the saves) and found out my dvd backups are corrupt lmao.

So no fallout 3 for me for a while until I get another copy and a reinstall of windows to look forward to for 2009.

Noice !

:D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:26 
Esoteric

Sorry man.. I'm using firefox.. About ten mins ago I reinstalled but it's still the same. Git thing.

I think my registry is screwed up.. Basically when I installed FO3 I had a codec issue (ffdshow makes the game pause like mad..) so I ran a codec dereg and installed Jlite (same fix for oblivion apparently).

It totally messed up media center, I have not been able to watch DVDs or TV since even though I reinstalled my legit Nvidia mpeg4 codec again and again and in the end I cracked and reinstalled ffdshow because I can't do without me xvids of southpark and kenny vs spenny (gross canadian comedy).

Oddly the game worked ok after reinstalling ffd, but the pc aint been right since I ran that codec dereg and tonight FO3 started crashing as it tried to load.. Then the PC started bsoding in the game and in the end I traced it to a registry error..I uninstalled, went to reinstall and found that the second dvd of the rar split is a coaster. Silly me, should have checked it before deleting the ISO.

This time around I'ma install a dual boot XPMCE and use one for gaming (strictly come gaming) and the other for MC. That way I get to run a nice clean ship for my main squeeze and sloppy seconds for installing games.

Just really don't need the hassle right now, but that's pc gaming for ya :D

Decided to download the skullsomething FO3 as it's compressed to 2.6gb, much more easy to back up on a non dvd9 and has the update slipstreamed into it :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:47 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

JohnCoffey wrote:
Sorry man.. I'm using firefox.. About ten mins ago I reinstalled but it's still the same. Git thing.

I think my registry is screwed up.. Basically when I installed FO3 I had a codec issue (ffdshow makes the game pause like mad..) so I ran a codec dereg and installed Jlite (same fix for oblivion apparently).

It totally messed up media center, I have not been able to watch DVDs or TV since even though I reinstalled my legit Nvidia mpeg4 codec again and again and in the end I cracked and reinstalled ffdshow because I can't do without me xvids of southpark and kenny vs spenny (gross canadian comedy).

Oddly the game worked ok after reinstalling ffd, but the pc aint been right since I ran that codec dereg and tonight FO3 started crashing as it tried to load.. Then the PC started bsoding in the game and in the end I traced it to a registry error..I uninstalled, went to reinstall and found that the second dvd of the rar split is a coaster. Silly me, should have checked it before deleting the ISO.

This time around I'ma install a dual boot XPMCE and use one for gaming (strictly come gaming) and the other for MC. That way I get to run a nice clean ship for my main squeeze and sloppy seconds for installing games.

Just really don't need the hassle right now, but that's pc gaming for ya :D

Decided to download the skullsomething FO3 as it's compressed to 2.6gb, much more easy to back up on a non dvd9 and has the update slipstreamed into it :)

Ah. I can't STAND having to reformat to fix things. Even if I fix it and then reformat, I have to know what was wrong and how to fix it.

If you get codec problems in the future, I recommend Codec Sniper (if that's not what you were using already). It tells you exactly what's broken and deletes it for you. I also tend to just install XViD and leave it at that codec wise, everything else just plays - codec packs cause a hell of a lot of issues.

I would say I'm glad I've got the 360 version of Fallout 3 (Christmas Present) but it managed to corrupt 2 of my saves tonight. Luckily I had two characters and just got outside the vault and both those saves are fine so I didn't lose progress. I think the 512MB memory card is slightly dodgy, need to keep an eye on that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:03 
Esoteric

Well there may be hope yet tbh.

I'll try uninstalling all of the codecs and then reinstalling them.. Will grab that sniper thing and give it a go :) I'm just praying to the almighty one that my save game for fallout is ok. I cant bear to think of spending another 100+ hours to get back to where I was :S

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:15 
Esoteric

hmm. I think this forum problem has nothing to do with any of it tbh.. I just copied the link for my sig pic into my browser and it 404ed on me.

I went to photobucket and the pic is still there.. However, if I put the straight http in my browser it 404s.

I have a feeling Tiscali's DNS is all screwy again. Because other pics I have posted seem to display fine and some other member's pics are up in the air too.

I'll bet the internets are screwy cos of the New Year.... Mind you, I can live with it the way it is..

I loaded MC and everything is normal. TBH I think this is purely down to fallout 3 being a bit buggy. A reinstall of the game and some careful registry cleansing ought to work. I don't think I'll get DVDs working in MCE without a reinstall, I think I have permanently damaged a part of the codec registry.. Thing is, the Nvidia codecs are installed and working perfectly.. Even MCE's diag software shows this -

Testing testing, 123

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:18 
Esoteric

Yip, see I can see both of those images clear as day..

As you can see, the Nvidia codec (was thirty ruddy quid !!) is installed there and set as the default for MCE.. It's one of the very few verified M$ jobbies.. Yet when I try to watch the TV or play a DVD in MCE since doing that registry business it won't show either.. All I get is this :(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:26 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

It could easily be a problem with a leftover codec trying to get in there and both failing. Give CodecSniper a go and see if it reports anything as "Broken".

You'll know it's the right program because it has cheesey voices on it and when you kill a codec it shouts "HEADSHOT!". Not the most professional of programs but bloody hell does it work.

If you suspect DNS, try settings your DNS servers to OpenDNS and see if it fixes it. I can confirm OpenDNS's servers can see everything.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:38 
Esoteric

I loaded codec sniper and everything reported as OK.. I didn't want to start removing them as I'm worried I'll bugger it right up and not even be able to watch South Park when I go to bed..

Because of my OCD and autism I must have south park playing in the background or the simpsons or I can't sleep.. It took me years to find out what worked I used to suffer awfully with insomnia :S

I guess it's just having something familiar in the background that gives me comfort.. Odd as hell :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:45 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

I'd recommend at this point downloading a demo of PowerDVD and seeing if it can play DVDs to narrow down the possible problems.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:50 
Esoteric

Oooo the bastard !!

I forgot there was an app written for MCE that allows customisation of MCE. It basically allows you to implement time shifting and you can pick the ammount of shift per press on the MC remote etc.

Well looky what's hijacked my media center.

Bastard. No wonder the Nvidia codec isn't working anymore.. Ooo I'm so mad I could crush a grape or something.

Looks like I may have to snipe ffdshow.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 14:13 
Esoteric

DNS has been resolved today and everything else seems normal. Why does weird shit happen at the same time?? Really throws me in a loop.

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]