Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ] 
 Post subject: I am officially old
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:17 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Young people all look the same to me.

I instantly dismiss any new-sounding word, paricularly compound words, and berate people for using them.

I have to drink from a particular type of mug at a particular time of day or with a particular meal, or the tea tastes rubbish.

I can't work my new mobile phone.

Worse: I can't even open it. I've been struggling and poking various parts of it for over half an hour.

I am 24 years old, a... hurrah! I just got the fucking thing open. Now, to switch it on!

... FUCK. Well anyway, what about you lot? I can't be alone in displaying a worrying number of symptoms of being hopelessly out of touch.

Post subject: Re: I am officially old
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:29 
Esoteric

sinister agent wrote:
I have to drink from a particular type of mug at a particular time of day or with a particular meal, or the tea tastes rubbish.

I'm 34 and developed that one about 8 years ago. I used the same sodding cup for coffee for 7 years and forgot to pack it when I came home >:| .

The reason it tastes like shit is the mixture ratio you have sub consciously developed. If I make my coffee in a small mug (it's taken me ages to get used to this new one) it's always horribly strong and too sweet.

I drink filtered coffee only too. Can't stand instant crud.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:29 
Excellent Painter

sinister agent wrote:

I instantly dismiss any new-sounding word, paricularly compound words, and berate people for using them.

Worse: I can't even open it. I've been struggling and poking various parts of it for over half an hour.

I am 24 years old, a... hurrah! I just got the fucking thing open. Now, to switch it on!

... FUCK. Well anyway, what about you lot? I can't be alone in displaying a worrying number of symptoms of being hopelessly out of touch.

Listen, just FUCK OFF will you :DD

I'm 40 three weeks today...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:56 
Peculiar, yet lovely

It's not the years; it's the mileage. I don't care what actual age I am, but I've turned into a miserable old tosser about thirty years early. I'll be paying for everything with five pence pieces by the time I'm 30 at this rate.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 13:39 
Legendary Boogeyman

Why just yesterday I was moaning that Christmas was a fairly meaningless waste of time. There is no religious aspect in it for me, and like I said in another thread, I'm very short on material wants so it's very hard to buy for me. With this in mind, what's the point of christmas?

I have my tree up, it's decorated, it looks nice enough, but if all significance of the event is non-applicable, what the fuck am I doing? Putting up decorations not because I actively want to, merely because of some odd social conditioning that makes me do it.

Christmas is so achingly overly commercial, and in my eyes its worse now than it ever used to be. By the end of October I'm being aggravated by the SAME FUCKING MUSIC OVER AND OVER while new variations of annoying adverts play on the TV. It's impossible to go anywhere because all the roads and shops are fucking packed to bursting, and all of the supermarkets run short of every day essential items because the gobbling consumers just hoover it all up while filling their fat fucking faces almost constantly for two weeks.

And it will all be repeated next year. I understand why people commit suicide.

So yeah, I am clearly of a child's mind myself.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 14:03 
Chinny chin chin

ComicalGerald wrote:
Why just yesterday I was moaning that Christmas was a fairly meaningless waste of time. There is no religious aspect in it for me, and like I said in another thread, I'm very short on material wants so it's very hard to buy for me. With this in mind, what's the point of christmas?

I have my tree up, it's decorated, it looks nice enough, but if all significance of the event is non-applicable, what the fuck am I doing? Putting up decorations not because I actively want to, merely because of some odd social conditioning that makes me do it.

I notice you xmas pimped your website and put a santa hat on the dildo thing in your avatar so you must be pretty well conditioned. :DD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 14:17 
Not to be confused with elbow

sinister agent wrote:

They are called 'emos' love :) I know what you mean though-the same hair cut, the same clothes and such-noone has any flair anymore! Well, except maybe Gaz (thinks back to that shirt he wore at shunt) *sigh* you just don't get people like that! :DD

sinister agent wrote:

We can never ever meet

sinister agent wrote:

I USED to do this-then my Alan Rickman mug broke and I gave up and just used whatever :(
R.I.P Alan mug :'(

The time thing though....thats a bit...odd

sinister agent wrote:

I can't even *find* mine half the time! My sister and Gaz have suped-up phones and I can't use them at all. I can't even answer the damn phone on them-let alone compile a textual message!

sinister agent wrote:

I shall be 23 next month ....I'm not sure if anything I've said helps you at all :s

The things I struggle with are (everything really!)

1, Electronic doors-they never open in time for me and I usually go bustling into the damned things!! So I have to wait, whimpering by them until someone else goes in and then I run!
2, I can't keep up with all the new 'bands' that are out now (they all sounds the fucking same anyway though-so when I listen to one I practically listen to 20)
3, I can't get on with people around the age of 16-20, I don't know why-they just irritate the fuck out of me.
4, I'm beginning to sound like my mother
5, I moan about the weather, the news, the state of the street, people spitting and other things like that and I never used to.
6, I have difficulty in operating anything electrical now, I used to be a computer whizzkid, but now I think the purple hair dye has killed my brain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 14:30 

sinister agent wrote:
I can't be alone in displaying a worrying number of symptoms of being hopelessly out of touch.

I agreed with most of the things you listed. I think I skipped adolescence and went straight into misanthropic old man territory. In addition to your list, here's two more from the top of my head:

- I have never seen the appeal of nightclubs or other establishments where you can't hold a conversation with someone. It's customary for me to meet friends in a pub, then head home as they all go off to the local nightclub.

- When replying to a colleagues' and friends' emails to me I quietly correct their misspelling of 'you' as 'u'.

But then I ceased to worry about being out of touch a few years ago. I like the air of smug superiority that doing my own thing provides. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 15:14 

I certainly always use correct grammar in text messages.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 15:32 
UltraMod

Dudley wrote:

LOL ME 2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 15:39 

Actually....I never do 'slang' on texts or emails either-just daft faces ^.^*

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 15:53 

What annoys me more than 'u' is 'da'.

"We are all going 2 da pub da sat after next".

For the sake of typing three letters instead of two, please spare me this horrid text speak. :(

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 15:57 
UltraMod

DAT IS RLY KEWL U R JST JELOS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 16:00 

u gyz jst dnt ndrstnd dis iz da nw wy of spkng!

Personally, I long for the day when QWRTY keyboards are commonplace.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 16:07 

I'd rather have one with an E key myself.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 17:12 

I wonder what it's like to get a text off Zardoz. :p

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 17:21 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 17:28 

Dudley wrote:
I'd rather have one with an E key myself.

I guess I should have put [srcsm]...[/srcsm] tags around my post :P

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 22:44 
Comfortably Dumb

ComicalGerald wrote:
And it will all be repeated next year. I understand why people commit suicide.

Apparently more people top themselves in warmer months than at Christmas. Dunno why though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 23:00 
Sleepyhead

You bloody youngster. Stop complaining!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 23:12 

Shinta Claus wrote:
1, Electronic doors-they never open in time for me and I usually go bustling into the damned things!! So I have to wait, whimpering by them until someone else goes in and then I run!
Well, those door mechanisms are normally keyed from a soul detector. Have you ever made a suspicious deal with a dapper man in his mid-40s who may have had a goatee?

Kern wrote:
I agreed with most of the things you listed. I think I skipped adolescence and went straight into misanthropic old man territory. In addition to your list, here's two more from the top of my head:
I do all these things. Mentally, I was born about 40, and I'm just waiting for my body to catch up.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 23:17 
Comfortably Dumb

Doctor GlyNadolig wrote:
Shinta Claus wrote:
Well, those door mechanisms are normally keyed from a soul detector. Have you ever made a suspicious deal with a dapper man in his mid-40s who may have had a goatee?

You don't look that old.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 23:21 

devilsnowman wrote:
You don't look that old.
Or that dapper.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:48 

Well....I think I may have done-I had a funny week though tbh because I'd just swapped my cow for these three beans...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:24 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Quote:
I have never seen the appeal of nightclubs or other establishments where you can't hold a conversation with someone. It's customary for me to meet friends in a pub, then head home as they all go off to the local nightclub.

- When replying to a colleagues' and friends' emails to me I quietly correct their misspelling of 'you' as 'u'.

Yes! I've never, ever enjoyed clubbing at all. I used to try once or twice a year, reluctantly, to enjoy it, but it's always a fucking hideous, miserable, insultingly extortionate excercise in disgust, boredom and suffocation, and about a year and a half ago I decided I'd never go again. Why people bother at all is beyond me, especially if they're not wired.

I tend not to quote people in emails much, but when I do, I do that a bit, as well. I feel my heart ache a little very time I read a your/you're confusion on a student's work or email, as well.

Progress report: Opened phone. Switched it on several times (though I still have no idea how it actually switches on. No logical or even illogical button or combination of presses or holds works - it appears to simply wake up when it feels like it a few minutes after I slide the top up). Found a way to switch off the shit ringtones and use a simple ring (although it's in the merkin style, grr). Found a way to switch off 'predictive' text.

Spent literally three minutes typing a text that should have taken about fifteen seconds thanks to an awkward, flat keypad in an uncomfortably low position (why bother making one that's really short if it ends up being twice the length when you actually need to use it? I can barely open it with one hand without it nearly flipping onto the floor, and the huge screen is completely wasted with fonts about four times the size I need them) and a punctuation shortcut button that doesn't even include apostrophes (method for getting an apostrophe button on a sensible phone - press the punctuation key three or four times. Method on this phone: hold the punctuation key, scroll a bit, press '5', press OK (which half the time is a menu, and half the time isn't. It has an extra button but still makes less use of the standard ones than my six year old one).

Then when it came to sending the text, I couldn't. I got to the phone book, but highlighting the entry I wanted and pressing OK came up with "nothing selected". Typing the name of the ONE ENTRY in my phone book in full came up with the same. Typing the full number of that entry came up with the same. I found out today I have to basically go to the phone book and put a tick by the name I want (with a button that does basically nothing else), then go back to the message and select 'send' all over again.

Meanwhile, to activate 'bluetooth' and a pile of superfluous acronym-laden piles of toss, I need merely press one button. This button is the same as the 'tick' one, so how I was supposed to connect the two is beyond me.

Fuck's sake. I'm hardly techie-inept, but this is just an awkward, confusing mess.

Um. Anyone want to swap phones with me? Mine's really, really good.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:39 
What-ho, chaps!

Want to swap it for a Panasonic EB-GD92 Digital Cellular Telephone?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:32 
Peculiar, yet lovely

That looks close to ideal, to be honest.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:23 
UltraMod

Clubbing is amazing if you go to the right places with the right people. Often, though, it's a tedious waste of time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:41 

sinister agent wrote:

Iphone?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:48 

myoptinsel wrote:
Clubbing is amazing if you have taken enough drugs.

Feex.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:55 

sinister agent wrote:
What phone is this?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:56 
UltraMod

marktheheraldangels wrote:
myoptinsel wrote:
Clubbing is amazing if you have taken enough drugs.

Feex.

Well, er, quite.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:58 
Hibernating Druid

Or if friends have over dibbled and you're there to witness it.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 21:28 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Doctor GlyNadolig wrote:
sinister agent wrote:
What phone is this?

A Samsung ... J... something. I'm getting used to it, but it still irritates me more and more often than any other thing I own except my sinuses.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 22:00 
Isn't that lovely?

Dudley wrote:

:this:

Even if it costs me more (I must look into a better package)

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 22:58 

I need to learn to proof-read my text messages first though. I realised just now that I'd told a friend I had been invited to go to a friend's house on New Year's Eve for 'a neck'.

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]