Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: FilmsUlike
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:42 
Esoteric

It doesn't matter if the whole world thinks they're shit, everyone has their little list of all time faves.

I have to admit to a pretty odd ball taste in movies. Some I can't believe I actually watched, others liked lol.

Current faves are -

Napoleon Dynamite. I've lived in the USA, and can happily admit that places like that do exist. Idaho, Iowa and parts of Dakota.

Where time really did stand still in the 80's and things really are that innocent and hysterically funny.

The Benchwarmers - It has John Heder from ND (above) in it, along with that Rob bloke who has been in bazillion cheeseball movies.

It's based around baseball so may not make sense to most here, but is hilarious, cute and funny. It's kinda got that 'Goonies' thing going on.

The Green Mile - I honestly, truly cannot believe that I had no idea this film existed until about a week ago. My only excuse was I was applying for a visa/going back and forth to the USA around the time it was made. I'm really glad I have seen it now though.
I made sure to read reviews before tucking in for the three hour haul. And they basically said it was too long winded. Others said it was faithful to the book, so I trusted the latter. Many films I have seen havent been faithful to the book, infact how any book can be turned into a 2 hour movie is beyond me, so didnt care at all that the director took that long to make the translation.

No film has made me cry like that. Ever. From the moment you see Coffey you know immediately that he didn't do it. From there on it's a seriously emotional ride as you get to know him, and fall in love with him. If you haven't seen it but have seen Shawshank then it's an absolute MUST see. If the part on the roof in Shawshank jerked a tear because of it's incredible humanity then I defy you not to cry when Hanks brings the cornbread in for coffey and you see him stuffing it into his pie hole.

The bit in the chair ended up with me soaking my pillow completely. And I'm a dude (although I admit a very emotional one). I balled my eyes out in the fashion that a child does, sobbing uncontrollably. Any film that can do that is art.

Rob Zombie's Halloween - hated by many, loathed by more. I fucking loved it. I've watched it about thirty times now. Gritty, gross, sick and distasteful from the offset this is typical Rob Zombie. Again, most brits will have no clue who he is, and would hate his music. I can't get enough.

The scene where Myers makes his first kill (trying not to do any spoilers) is just truly and utterly barbaric. I feel amazed that I managed to sit through it as House of the 1000 corpses had me reaching for the stop button. I do feel that Zombie did the perfect job in finishing off everything ever unsaid and explained the story perfectly.

Disney's Aristocats - nuff said. Spectacular.

Goonies - best kids film ever made.

Stand by me - Never ever gets tiring.

Trauma - I still don't know whether to hate or love this film. It's just utterly odd. I have watched it a few times so I'll roll with the love. It's just... well.... odd.

Harold and Kumar go to whitecastle - just hysterical. I lived in NJ where it is based, and frequently had to make the long haul like they did in order to eat at Whitecastle. That's what makes it even more funny. Whitecastle burgers are just incredible. They're cooked with steam, and I have never eaten anything quite like them in my life.

Jay and silent bob - In one of these at the start Jay pulls down his strides and farts. He then gets arrested. That store was a Wawa in South NJ, and I used to frequent it all the time. But the reason the film is so good is because it sums up the east coast sense of humor perfectly (also see Clerks).

The butterfly effect - because I love headfuck movies (See trauma and The Jacket).

The Jacket - slightly better than the above I think. It's not as 'nice' as Ashton and I think that's why I liked it more. Same ilk as BE though.

London to Brighton - Hard to describe really. It'll definitely invoke feelings you didn't know you had.

Post subject: Re: FilmsUlike
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:50 
Skillmeister

Dawn of The Dead. I could watch this film everyday for the rest of my life. Romero's masterpiece.

Evil Dead 2. The best in the series made even better with the crew's DVD commentary.

The Big Lebowski. See DoTD reason.

Agree about Napoleon and Goonies. The film that made me blart more than any other was A.I. It so traumatised me that I can't watch it again to this day.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:56 
Esoteric

Hmm, if AI is that bad I think I'll avoid. After watching Butterfly effect I couldnt sleep for three days because my brain was just awashed with thought. What if this, what if that? etc. In ways I wish I hadnt watched it at all. I think too much as it is :)

I've never watched any horror flick apart from Halloween. I watched Candy Man once and shit my pants so hard that I didnt sleep for days. For some reason Halloween scares the life out of me without having to be bloodgross.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:08 
Goth

For any Americans looking at the forum..

::::::::::::::::::::::::

How are they with Semi-colons?

Anyway these are a few of my favourite films:

Blade Runner - One of the best looking films ever. With fabulous story and bags and bags of atmosphere. Oh and an awesome soundtrack too.

A Life Less Ordinary - Just about the most watchable romantic comedy ever. Cameron Diaz has never looked prettier. Brilliantly created characters help tremendously as well. Brilliant performances from Ewen McGregor and Holly Hunter. Great musical number in the middle too.

His Girl Friday - Just simply the best comedy ever written. Astonishingly fast paced dialogue. Charismatic acting from Carey Grant. Strong support from Rosalind Russel too. The very definition of madcap and also you've got to be quick to keep up with all the jokes in this one.

Breaking Glass - Full of 80s new wave charm and rags to riches to miserable depression. With an awesome soundtrack. Very much of its time but its emotional aspects lift it away from being too much of its time. Very much a damning tale against the music industry.

Aliens - Epic and brilliant. Great characters carry it again.

Martha Meet Frank Daniel and Lawrence - Brit flick romantic comedy with the absotively gorgeous Monica Potter in the female lead. Witty script and it's a film which really defines my idea of true love. Amazing to see Ray Winstone in this. If you like a great romance this is an absolute must.

I'd better stop, I could go on all day.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:12 
Gogmagog

<fx: loads gun>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:50 
Not to be confused with elbow

All of The Harry Potters-
Because Alan Rickman and Gary Oldman are in it-duh! The only part I currently hate is the new Dumbledore, I miss owd Richard Harris (RIP) but why did they have to get such a twat to take over? Dumbledore is not fucking irish you moron so stop talking like a half-cocked paddy please!
Also love it because I wish I had a school like that :luv:

Jeepers Creepers 1&2-
They make me laugh so much it should be illegal! I love them :)

Hellraiser-
BUT not the one set in space-ye gods! What the FUCK were you thinking!? Other than that I love them all and Pinhead is a fucking legend!

Die Hard 1-
The ONLY one I love-it has Alan Rickman in it and he is FANTASTIC! He brings the part of Hans to life and steals the show from pumped up punk Bruce Willis! Good on you Ricky!

Hellboy 1&2
What's not to love? I'm a big kid and I love comics anyway and these were 2 brilliantly made films (I had some hang-ups about 2 because of this reason)
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Shes preggers....no....this shouldn't be-this spoils it! I don't do romance in films really and especially NOT this one!

Robin Hood-
Yep it's another Rickman featuring film! But it's a GREAT one! He steals the show once again when you see him on screen. Noone can compare, truly. He plays Nottingham so well and puts a twist on the character, making him darkly humerous too!!

Labyrinth-
DAVID BOWIE! :luv: He plays Jareth excellently and Connelly is great as Sarah! I hate puppets usually but I was fine watching this, it's a great film! I can watch it over and over again :)

There's loads more, but I'd be here all day :s

I can't watch Green Mile as it's probably the only film I will cry every single time at-and I don't cry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:57 
Comfortably Dumb

JohnCoffey wrote:
The Green Mile...

Actually, the bit that got to me was ...
..right at the end when Tom Hanks' character (damned if I can remember the name) was was trying to cope with his extended lifespan, outliving the people he cared about. That depressed the hell out of me. Great film all the same though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:07 
Gogmagog

Shawshank redemption is better than the Green Mile.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 13:03 
Gogmagog

Napoleon Dynamite was shit as well.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 13:37 
Goth

I nearly mentioned the Hellraisers. Number 2 in particular. The 'one in space' sounds more like Jason X to me. Though Hellraiser IV does have a bit in space but it takes place over various periods in history.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 13:46 
Skillmeister

Oooh ooh.

Brazil. Terry Gilliam's masterpiece of Orwellian dystopia meeting flights of fancy. I'm a big Gilliam nerd and own quite a few books and all that jazz, and I recall him saying about one of his inspirations for the film was seeing a beautiful Victorian house with elaborate cornices on the outside, which had been crudely hacked through with a hammer in order to install a stench pipe for a toilet. The fact that an aesthetic had been compromised for the sake of convenience, hence the restaurant scene with huge fricking pipes dangling everywhere. Since reading this I can't help but see it myself. I was sitting in a doctor's surgery which was a listed building, and the network and phone cables nastily nailed above the elaborate skirting boards. Plus the huge pylon monstrosities which dominate our landscape.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 13:47 
Gogmagog

Shinta Claus wrote:
Because Alan Rickman and Gary Oldman are in it-duh! The only part I currently hate is the new Dumbledore, I miss owd Richard Harris (RIP) but why did they have to get such a twat to take over? Dumbledore is not fucking irish you moron so stop talking like a half-cocked paddy please!

Jeepers Creepers 1&2-

Hellraiser-
BUT not the one set in space-ye gods! What the FUCK were you thinking!? Other than that I love them all and Pinhead is a fucking legend!

Die Hard 1-
The ONLY one I love-it has Alan Rickman in it and he is FANTASTIC! He brings the part of Hans to life and steals the show from pumped up punk Bruce Willis! Good on you Ricky!

Hellboy 1&2
What's not to love? I'm a big kid and I love comics anyway and these were 2 brilliantly made films (I had some hang-ups about 2 because of this reason)
Shes preggers....no....this shouldn't be-this spoils it! I don't do romance in films really and especially NOT this one!

Robin Hood-
Yep it's another Rickman featuring film! But it's a GREAT one! He steals the show once again when you see him on screen. Noone can compare, truly. He plays Nottingham so well and puts a twist on the character, making him darkly humerous too!!

Labyrinth-
DAVID BOWIE! :luv: He plays Jareth excellently and Connelly is great as Sarah! I hate puppets usually but I was fine watching this, it's a great film! I can watch it over and over again :)

I can't watch Green Mile as it's probably the only film I will cry every single time at-and I don't cry

Shit, shit, shit shit and shit.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 13:49 
Skillmeister

You're in fine fettle today Mali.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 14:01 
Esoteric

devilsnowman wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
The Green Mile...

Actually, the bit that got to me was ...(removed incase I bugger it up and accidentally post it)

Indeed. When I was a kid I asked my mother (as you do) what scared her. Expecting her to say "spiders" "mice" or "the dark" she paused for a moment and thought hard, then said "outliving my children"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 14:34 
Time Out for Fun

MaliA wrote:
Shinta Claus wrote:

Jeepers Creepers 1&2-

Hellraiser-

Die Hard 1-

Hellboy 1&2

Robin Hood-

Labyrinth-

wait a second are you saying Die Hard is shit? The greatest action film is shit? the greatest christmas film is shit?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 14:36 
Skillmeister

Runcle Scrooge wrote:
the greatest christmas film is shit?

I doubt that anyone could say Mary Poppins was shit, Runc.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 14:44 
Esoteric

Ooo greatest Christmas films.

Why that would be the one where the dude wishes he was dead and wants to commit hari kiri, but instead vanishes like he never existed.

That one I have absolutely no fucking idea what it's called, but is black and white and totally excellent likes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 14:49 
Time Out for Fun

JohnCoffey wrote:
Ooo greatest Christmas films.

Why that would be the one where the dude wishes he was dead and wants to commit hari kiri, but instead vanishes like he never existed.

That one I have absolutely no fucking idea what it's called, but is black and white and totally excellent likes.

Its a wonderful life.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 14:56 
Excellent Member

Heh, maybe a new thread indeed.

Anyway, some films wot I like:

Master & Commander:

Vastly under-rated film, and the best historical epic of the last decade. The casting is perfect, the only flaws being that Bettany isn't quite small and ugly enough, and Aubrey isn't massive and portly enough. Otherwise it nails the two leads, and the supporting cast are faithful too. Props go to the actors who play Lt. Mowatt and Lt. Pullings in the film, and the young Max Pirkis who delivers an amazing turn as the young midshipman Babbington. Peter Weir creates an atmosphere of hardship and duty tempered by respect, honour, zeal, courage and above all friendship and a sense of comradeship. In moments when that supportive system breaks down in the film, it feels all the more shocking. I'm a big buff of the Napoleonic naval history (read N A M Roger's masterful 'Command of the Oceans' fact fans) and the film is entirely convincing in every detail. Unlike in TV productions and lesser fare where you get unpunished 'backchat' from the crew, there's a clear rigid system that - with exceptions - although unforgiving, is as human and proud as could be. Not that it is an idyll; wounds and cruelty both feature harshly, as does a suicide.

Fantastic production values brimming with detail and special effects that complement the world and seek not to overwhelm it with needless spectacle. What you see is what once was. And it is a beautiful wooden world, an evocative 'sub-creation' that is made and one you can live in as deeply as a great novel.

Round that off with a beautiful soundtrack mixing some effective Battlestar style percussion wood-block beats and chamber music from such greats as Correlli, Bocherini and Mozart - and the haunting symphony of Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Talis, by Vaughan Williams, and you have one incredible, under-rated film.

So yes, I quite like that film.

Highlight: Too many to mention, but I always blub during the Vaughan Williams feat Man Overboard scene. Best line? "I hate it when you speak of the service so, it makes me so very low." - "To the lesser of two weevils!" - "No, that's just dried blood, those are his brains." - "Oh here we go. Moan moan, scrape scrape. Never a tune you could dance to, not if you were as drunk as Davy's sow." etc.

The Cruel Sea

Another great ocean-going film based on the novel by Nicholas Monseratt. It is the second world war, the battle of the Atlantic, and a battered, cheaply built convoy escort run by Jack Hawkins tries and fails heroically to keep its charges safe. There can be no defence against the submarines, but maybe it can keep some of the escorts alive. One of the harshest of British war movies, this has stiff upper lip but for the first time it comes across as rooted in plausible psychology. The stiff upper lip exists because the horrors they have seen and done are so unspeakable. The depth-charging of survivors in the water to get the (possibly fictitious) submarine underneath. The survivors coughing up oil and blood. The sudden drowning of two main characters in a torpedo attack. Arguably the best WWII movie, and second only to Band of Brothers as far as Western world-war things go in my opinion.

Highlight: Stanley Baker's monumentally obnoxious and lewd first lieutenant. "Snorkers! Good-oh!"

It's A Wonderful Life

You may have been avoiding this owing to the schmaltzy-looking cover, its cloying reputation as a Christmas classic and the general 'God bless us everyone' attitude seeping from its title. Don't for the love of baby Jesus. By turns enchanting, moving, funny and savagely despairing it really is a miracle of a film. Everyone remembers heroic George Bailey's "Wa'al... I don't know..." selfless good nature and his saving of the town, but many forget the darkness in him and the nature of people that also exists in the film. Witness the alternate reality 'Pottersville', where the good people of Bedford Falls are rendered heartless and grasping by the ruthless capitalist system personified by the bestest villain in cinema ever, Mr Burns Mr Potter, and the suicidal despair that grips James Stewart.

Look carefully throughout the film and you'll see the dark looks and moments of selfish arrogance as James Stewart seeks to abandon his small home town and make it big in the world. There's a scene on the station platform where he finds that his brother is marrying and is offered a big future at a company, which means that he'll be left with the burden of propping up his dad's failing business himself, a business the people of the town need but cannot afford to invest in. A war of emotions sweeps across his face in the subtlest of manners, he's trying to hide it, but it is there to be read, and it shows real anger and fury and disappointment... but his good heart wins through and by the time he catches up with his brother, he's ready to offer his congratulations.

The best Christmas movie ever, simply put, and certainly in my top ten movies of all time.

Highlight: The ending, it is EARNED. Weep tears, friends. Either that, or the eyeing up of a dame. Bert: "Wouldn't you like to..." George: "YES."

Gremlins

Probably the biggest bundle of fun ever made. Packed with references and cameos for pulp sci-fi buffs, because after all this is a Joe Dante film. Brilliant supporting turns by Dante veteran Dick Miller and the lovely Phoebe Cates. The hero of the story is superb too, and oft overlooked. Geeky but not a nerd, self-assured yet gawky, funny, clever and kick-arse, it's oddly easy to forget just how excellent this character and the actor who plays him is when ranked against the trash that led most 80's movies of this staple. He has just the right look of panic and fury when it calls for it as well, and is further proof that Dante is one of the greatest casters of actors ever. It's the perfect companion for 'It's a Wonderful Life' as well, as the plot gleefully parodies it. And I wanted a Mogwai when I was a kid so bad.

Highlight: The gloriously evil Mrs Deagle.

Deagle: "I want the dog. I'd put him on spin-dry at high heat." Bloke: "That'd do it alright."

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 15:42 
Excellent Painter

There are actually some great movies on this week that I had forgotten about.

The Last Seduction. If you haven't seen it, you must - it's an absolutely brilliant homage to 40s and 50s film noir with a hard as nails cold as ice femme fatale played in her one and only stand out movie by Linda Fiorentino.

I see that Tarkovsky's Solaris was on More4 last night - that's a classic worth having a look at though it is without a shadow of a doubt the most soporific and elegiac movie I have ever watched - only the Russian state could finance such a movie as a riposte to Kubrick's 2001

Blade Runner remastered in either HD or Blu Ray - it really is like a new film again - the remastering has been done with such loving care. Still fucking awesome 26 years after it debuted and the central theme of the second coming being man-made still resonates.

Unforgiven. Beautifully shot, beautifully written (by the same script writer credited for Blade Runner fact fans) and beautifully acted - this unflinching, simple tale of the brutal harshness of frontier life in the wild West is an absolute classic.

Manchurian Candidate. Original 50s version with Lawrence Harvey, Frank Sinatra and a stand out performance by Angela Lansbury (yes, her from Murder She Wrote)

That's just a few off the top of my head

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 19:16 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

It Happened Here
Made over a period of ten years by a couple of guys who were teenagers when they started. It tells the story of a nurse living in a Nazi occupied Britain. All she wants to do is practice her profession but finds it perverted under the new regime. Truly a stunning piece of film making including speeches made by British Fascists and using BBC wartime news readers reading the Reich News. Throughout the film there is the suggestion that the British might have made the best fascists of all. It’s been on Channel Four a couple of times (where I first saw it) but it’s not been on for at least 10 years but a region 2 DVD is finally available.

Alien
I know Aliens is probably the more popular film but Alien is my fave of the series, the unrelenting tension and the beautifully designed and crafted Geiger Alien make this one of the best films ever made…oh and I couldn’t sleep for a week after seeing it in my early teens, the only other film to have that affect was Threads.

Harold & Maude
Most people refer to this as a black comedy but in truth it’s a rather beautiful romance story between a proto-goth and seventy year old holocaust survivor set in the early 70’s. Bud Cort was never better as Harold the disaffected youth who can only find expression through his faked suicides and going to funerals of strangers. At one of these funerals he meets Maude (played wonderfully by Ruth Gordon) who also likes to go to funerals and is also something of a kleptomaniac. Very funny and endearing, I beseech thee to seek it out.

LOTR Trilogy
I am a Tolkein geek, nuff said

Brain Dead
Having said that, this is Peter Jackson’s masterpiece. Death by lawnmower anyone? Also includes the best use of The Archers in a zombie flick set in 1950s Wellington. How the actor who plays Lionel (Timothy Balme) hasn’t become a huge star because of his physical comedy I will never know

Wings of Desire
Somehow this got turned into the abomination that was ‘City of Angels’. Wonderfully slow (some may even say boring) film about a couple of Angels wandering around Berlin observing the human race going about their business. During the course of the film one of the angels falls in love with a trapeze artist and chooses to join the human race and during the course of this meets Peter Falk (playing himself) who it transpires is an ex-angel as well. Worth it for the Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds songs alone…unfortunately it also gave the God Channel their station idents as well.

Oh and Pete is completely correct about It's a Wonderful Life...the thick may reject it as being sentimental nonsense but they are just remembering the last scene (which I think is wonderful) but what you actually have is a very dark film about a man who believes his whole existence to have been wasted, to the point that he wants to take his life.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 19:42 
Excellent Painter

I'm with you on Alien being the best of the series and like you said I think that may have more to do with the affect it had on me as a youngster than anything else - it is effectively just a haunted house movie set on a spaceship.

I'm also with you and Pete on It's A Wonderful Life - it's a superb movie and makes the like of The Shawshank Redemption seem saccharine in it's entirety - not that I'm saying that's a bad film at all.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 19:49 
Esoteric

Morte wrote:
Oh and Pete is completely correct about It's a Wonderful Life...the thick may reject it as being sentimental nonsense but they are just remembering the last scene (which I think is wonderful) but what you actually have is a very dark film about a man who believes his whole existence to have been wasted, to the point that he wants to take his life.

The feelings of angst and helplessness the film 'vibes' really made me squirm in discomfort. At the end you're all like "thank fuck for that... jesus"

I agree, it's certainly not a lovey dovey kind of film but it's a great reality check for how we should feel about our lives, especially around christmas time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 21:14 

MaliA wrote:

How aboooout-fuck off?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 21:15 
Time Out for Fun

Shinta Claus wrote:
MaliA wrote:

How aboooout-fuck off?

never seen it, any good? is it a christmas film?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 21:16 

It's a brilliant film

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:00 
Kindly deeds done for free

Shinta Claus wrote:
It's a brilliant film

How does it compare to this one though?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:43 
Excellent Member

:DD

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:52 

*Starts sweating*

Ohh....Ricky!

Damn that Good Fellas film!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 13:07 
Excellent Member

Rushmore - pretty much my favourite comedy ever. Every single character is perfect, the music is wonderful and it has that bit with Bill Murray jumping into a pool. Wes Anderson's best film by far.

The Thin Red Line - Terrence Mallick's best film, and that's saying something (even though he's only made about four). This film deserved a much larger audience, it deserved to sweep the Oscars too. Bloody Spielberg and his Saving Private Ryan. Tch.

Sirens - little seen film about Australian artist Norman Lindsey. It involves Sam Neil's blind, mute gardener shagging Hugh Grant's wife, while Elle McPherson, Portia DeRossi and #qdig" class="postlink">this girl walk around naked a lot. It was filmed near where I lived as a kid. Me and my mates sneaked on set to catch a glimpse of Elle McPhearson in the buff and got chased by security guards, so the film holds a special place in my heart.

Boogie Nights - Pretty much every scene is hilarious. Burt Reynolds' only good role in the past two decades. Mark Wahlbergh has never been better either. (Actually, I'm struggling to think of him being good in any other film, ever).

Dead Man - pretentious, meandering and very very weird. But it's got that Neil Young soundtrack. And Lance Hendrickson is badass in it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 13:26 
Sleepyhead

The Princess Bride - for the sharpest, most fun script in history

Aliens - for whizzbangs

O Brother! Where Art Thou? - for more fantastic scriptings, great music and a wonderful performance from Clooney and the rest of the cast

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 13:35 
Excellent Member

Bah. In the name of movie recommendations, I'm re-posting my picks which appeared at the bottom of the previous page. Because I want you all to watch them (if you haven't already).

grumpysmurf wrote:
Rushmore - pretty much my favourite comedy ever. Every single character is perfect, the music is wonderful and it has that bit with Bill Murray jumping into a pool. Wes Anderson's best film by far.

The Thin Red Line - Terrence Mallick's best film, and that's saying something (even though he's only made about four). This film deserved a much larger audience, it deserved to sweep the Oscars too. Bloody Spielberg and his Saving Private Ryan. Tch.

Sirens - little seen film about Australian artist Norman Lindsey. It involves Sam Neil's blind, mute gardener shagging Hugh Grant's wife, while Elle McPherson, Portia DeRossi and #qdig" class="postlink">this girl walk around naked a lot. It was filmed near where I lived as a kid. Me and my mates sneaked on set to catch a glimpse of Elle McPhearson in the buff and got chased by security guards, so the film holds a special place in my heart.

Boogie Nights - Pretty much every scene is hilarious. Burt Reynolds' only good role in the past two decades. Mark Wahlbergh has never been better either. (Actually, I'm struggling to think of him being good in any other film, ever).

Dead Man - pretentious, meandering and very very weird. But it's got that Neil Young soundtrack. And Lance Hendrickson is badass in it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 13:46 
That Rev Chap

JohnCoffey wrote:
Napoleon Dynamite. I've lived in the USA, and can happily admit that places like that do exist. Idaho, Iowa and parts of Dakota.

Rob Zombie's Halloween - hated by many, loathed by more. I fucking loved it. I've watched it about thirty times now. Gritty, gross, sick and distasteful from the offset this is typical Rob Zombie. Again, most brits will have no clue who he is, and would hate his music. I can't get enough.

Both excellent choices. I'm very glad to see someone else recognising the genius of Rob Zombie's Halloween. My wife and I saw it at the cinema and loved it - and then were very surprised to see that it was generally regarded as a bit rubbish.

As for Napoleon Dynamite, it's just wonderful. My in-laws live in rural Idaho and it's really quite similar. (And we actually went to Preston, the setting for the film, and saw all the locations. We shopped in the thrift store, drove past Pedro's house, went into the school playground to find the tetherball, etc.

As for my movies, I'll avoid really obvious stuff like Alien and Goodfellas, which everyone loves. (No, everyone does love Goodfellas. People that say they don't just have realised the fact yet.)

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith - I cannot in good conscience say that the film is perfect. It's not. A lot of the acting is lousy, a lot of the dialogue is utterly terrible, Kit Fisto doesn't get the death he deserves and it's edited for repeat viewings. (It seems very strangely paced on a first viewing, the rhythm of the thing only feeling comfortable after that.) But it's full of greatness. There's the look of the thing, for one. People may complain about CGI, but the richness and scope of the world created here deserves to be recognised. Vader's "Nooooooooo!" is utterly ridiculous, but also wonderful. Ian McDiarmid proves that the right actors can make the shit that George Lucas types sound good. He's sublime. The film's a mixture of the terrible, the wonderful and the wonderfully ridiculous. Its CGI sheen suggests perfection, but you've actually got a glorious mess of a film, with every clunking dialogue drop matched by incredible sights and sounds. It's the Star Wars movie I think of as the most Star Wars of the lot, these days. It's everything good and bad about the whole huge Star Wars universe wrapped up in one incredibly entertaining film. I love it. I recognise that it's not as good as the original, or Empire, but it's the one I always want to watch now.

Highlight: The Order 66 montage. Looks incredible and is both chilling and incredibly sad. A whole world ends in moments.

Jason X - It is, quite possibly, the silliest idea for a movie ever. EVER. Take Jason Voorhees and then put him on a space ship in the future. Everyone, including me, expected it to be awful. But it's a gem of a movie. It takes its silliness, it owns it, it parades it, it revels in it. It's a parody of the old movies - IN SPACE! - but done with great love and affection. And there are some great death scenes. The funny thing is, this is the first Jason Voorhees movie I ever saw, but even then I recognised how good it was. Now, after falling in love with the mostly-terrible previous movies, I love it more.

Highlight: The whole "We love pre-marital sex!" scene. It's everything wonderful and gratuitous from all the previous movies rolled up into one brief scene and played for laughs. And it includes a reprise of Jason's greatest kill.

The Passion of Joan of Arc - No robots, no spaceships, no big explosions. For fuck's sake, there's not even any sound! (Though do watch the Criterion version, because the score they use is incredible.) It's a familiar tale, told mostly in close up. It's incredibly moving and you will remember her face for the rest of your life.

Highlight: It's not really a highlight film, but I guess it has to be Maria Falconetti's face.

The Prestige - Batman meets Wolverine! Or, rather, Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman play rival magicians. It's a puzzle movie, but one which is worth watching more than once, even once you know how the trick was performed. There's not much more to say without spoiling it, really, as it's best to go in knowing nothing, but I will mention David Bowie's performance. I suspect is accent is, er, suspect, but he's wonderful in the film.

Highlight: The light bulbs in the field. In a all round great-looking movie, this is breathtaking.

12 Monkeys - All Terry Gilliam's movies are worth watching. Hell, they're all worth owning. Brazil may be his best, but I'm putting 12 Monkeys here because, to my mind, it's the only movie ever to get time travel right.

Highlight: When you find yourself saying, "Oooooooooh, I see."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 13:47 

Oh shit! Also Se7en is a BRILLIANT film and I loved it

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 13:49 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Clausiosity wrote:

Absolutely - and I'd add Stardust to that for being a delightful but blatant modern attempt at the same film.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 13:50 
Skillmeister

Stardust the film is not a patch on the book.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 13:55 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Bounding Neville wrote:
Stardust the film is not a patch on the book.

Is this "BooksULike", Neville? If that is indeed your real name, harrumph.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 13:57 
UltraMod

Yeah, Neville - make your own thread.

-gets revenge for Croc Game thread-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 13:57 
Skillmeister

I watched the film and was screeching at the screen at the stuff they cut out. No graphic unicorn slaughter for one. Nice to see Mark Heap though, as it always is.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 13:58 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Personally I can't stand Gaiman's writing style, so was glad of what they did with the film.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 14:00 
Skillmeister

I suggest American Gods, it's much lengthier and nicely paced compared to the quite quick and turny Neverwhere and That One. It also features a man being eaten by a fanny.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 14:09 
Hibernating Druid

Books are for fags.

Films I like (first few that pop in my noggin)

Evil Dead 2 - Only fags haven't watched this.
Ichi the Killer - A charming tale of Yakuza v NUTTAH! NUTTAH!.
Dead Mans Shoes - Awesome, would be hard to watch this again. Completely harrowing.
Kung Fu Hustle - FUNZOR!
Seven Samurai - The black and white version of Battle Beyond the Stars but with clever men with swords.
Freddie Got Fingered - Only disliked by fags.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 14:14 
Excellent Member

Cras Cringle wrote:
Personally I can't stand Gaiman's writing style, so was glad of what they did with the film.

:'(

Oh well. I feel I must shoehorn in a remark that The Graveyard Book is rather excellent.

Zardasher! With your 'books are for fags' comment you go too far, sir! You are in sore need of some righteous library medicine! And Freddie Got Fingered? Are you blitheringly insane man?

Kung Fu Hustle and Seven Samurai redeem you a little, however.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 14:20 
Skillmeister

Books are obviously for the el1te tr00 kvlt, which Zardoz fails to be in. Cos he's cack.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 14:28 
Esoteric

The Rev Snowen wrote:
Both excellent choices. I'm very glad to see someone else recognising the genius of Rob Zombie's Halloween. My wife and I saw it at the cinema and loved it - and then were very surprised to see that it was generally regarded as a bit rubbish.

I couldn't understand the criticism either. TBH I think most people were pissed because they either saw the cut version (no rape scene and other nastiness removed) or were pissed off because Rob finally put an end to it, stopping anyone from making anymore shit reruns.

To explain that a bit.. All of the things I wondered about for all those years were finally answered, something that after the first 2 were never touched on. Why did Michael stab his sister? what, if any, were the causes for his total mental inbalance?. Where did he get that mask? I mean, it's cool and all but some explanation would have been nice ! where did he get the knife? So many questions, Zombie gave all the answers. That's what I thought was so brilliant about it, that and the fact he did it in sick style and grace (I mean, noone expected his family to be nice honest law abiding citizens.. so saying you are going to skull fuck someone wouldn't be out of place in his house). I mean with NOES we know who Freddy was, and why he did what he did. How he was burnt and so on. Noone pissed and whined about that lol.

Now Rob could actually make a real sequel now, but has stated he wouldn't. Let's just hope that if anyone actually does it stays where Rob has rightly put the film.

The Rev Snowen wrote:
As for Napoleon Dynamite, it's just wonderful. My in-laws live in rural Idaho and it's really quite similar. (And we actually went to Preston, the setting for the film, and saw all the locations. We shopped in the thrift store, drove past Pedro's house, went into the school playground to find the tetherball, etc.

Idaho has the best potatoes on earth. Yukon gold are amazing.

The Rev Snowen wrote:
Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith

I agree. don't have time to go into why now but I absolutely loved it. Mightve been for the same reason as Halloween tbh? Went to the cinema to see it three times.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 14:36 
PC Gamer

Cras Cringle wrote:
Clausiosity wrote:

Absolutely - and I'd add Stardust to that for being a delightful but blatant modern attempt at the same film.

Yes. And yes.

Lots of good stuff mentioned, so let me break some new ground by confessing my irrational love of seventies macho cinema.

Rocky
The best thing about Rocky? You don't need to watch Rocky to have seen Rocky. In fact, you only need to watch about a minute of Rocky, so long as it's the right minute.

The last round of Balboa-Creed I, Apollo knocks a battered and plainly exhausted Rocky down for seemingly the seven hundredth time in the fight. Rocky's friend and trainer Micky is screaming at him to stay down and avoid any further punishment, but with the help of the ropes Rocky climbs unsteadily back to his feet. You see Apollo's shoulders drop, just for a second he looks away with an expression of complete disbelief and my, hasn't it gotten dusty in here all of a sudden?

That's it. That's the whole film.

God, I love the (first four) Rocky films. I love every ridiculous bone in their ridiculous body. I love the insane storylines, I love the (even Rocky had) montages, I love the music, I love The Penguin, I love Rocky running up the steps of the Museum Of Art, I love the deathbed scene with the immortal dialogue "MUH? MUH? GuhwuhbuhnuhwuhwuhbuhhuhguhwhughunuhNNNNNNNNNNUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHH!!", and I especially love all of Rocky's opponents - Clubber Lang is one of cinema's all-time great villains ("Clubber, what's your prediction for the fight?" "My prediction?" "Your prediction." *pause, SNEER* "Pain.")

The Longest Yard
Remade twice in recent years with predictably awful results. Who could have guessed that Vinny Jones or Adam Sandler wouldn't be able to adequately fill the shoes of a young Burt Reynolds?

With all due respect to the almost-as-awesome Escape To Victory, this is probably the best sports movie ever made. The action sequences still look great, in no small part because Reynolds was a college quarterback and didn't need the current vogue of hyper-close-up jiggly-cam shots to make him convincing under centre.

Burt's pep-talk before the game's final play gives me goosebumps every time I watch it.

Rollerball
The remake a few years ago is a definite contender for being the worst film I've ever seen - a violent, sci-fi allegory remade without the violence, sci-fi or allegory. The original isn't perfect and is mildly bonkers, but deserves credit for utterly traumatising me as a child, the first time I can ever remember seeing a major character killed (in fairly brutal fashion, too). The game sequences deserve enormous kudos for being a) easy to follow, b) fairly convincing as an actual game and c) pretty wince-inducing, despite being basically a dozen blokes in American football pads racing around a cycling tracks on rollerskates.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 14:51 
Hibernating Druid

Bounding Neville wrote:
Books are obviously for the el1te tr00 kvlt, which Zardoz fails to be in. Cos he's cack.

0MFG G1v t3h F@g @ LOL1p0p u 5uKt2rd

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 14:52 

It takes me so long to decipher these things -_-;

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 14:53 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Try removing the semi-colon from the side of your head - it'll make it easier.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 15:00 
UltraMod

Shinta Claus wrote:
It takes me so long to decipher these things -_-;

Yeah, I know what you mean. *offers up puckered anus*

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next