Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Usenet recommendations?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 20:03 
Excellent Excellente

I've been away from the world of Usenetting for quite a while and wish to get back to things.

Last I used it, NewsLeecher was my app of choice and EasyNews was recommended by a few back on the other forum. Is this still the case?

Thought I'd ask everyone here since this is the more busy place and I'm sure some have interesting stories to tell and recommendations to make. Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Usenet recommendations?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 20:20 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

MarzSyndrome wrote:
I've been away from the world of Usenetting for quite a while and wish to get back to things.

Last I used it, NewsLeecher was my app of choice and EasyNews was recommended by a few back on the other forum. Is this still the case?

Thought I'd ask everyone here since this is the more busy place and I'm sure some have interesting stories to tell and recommendations to make. Cheers.

Still Newsleecher for me. Although I've used binaries once in about 2 years.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 20:27 

MarzSyndrome wrote:

Newsleecher and Newsdemon here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 20:45 
Goth

I use Giganews as their 240 day retention comes in handy. I use Newzbin for getting nzbs as it's handy reading the comments on things to help avoid viruses.

It's about $12.99 for 25GB from Giganews. I left Easynews ages ago as their retention was getting terrible. I went to Newshosting who have 70 days retention and offer an unlimited package for about $15 a month.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 20:45 
Comfortably Dumb

I still use Usenext. Not cheap, but you can pull a fair bit in with the free trial you get.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 20:52 
Kindly deeds done for free

I use alt.binz for downloading and Newzleech to search for NZBs (with Yabsearch as a backup -- I prefer Newzleech's one-click-to-download interface but the site does go down very occasionally).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 21:04 
and!

I think usenet is kind of dead, certainly for discussion groups. I remember the glory days of rec.music.progressive which was fecking awesome, but all the groups I read slowly died.

Comedy podcast, films and that - http://www.wenton.co.uk - Now with Hammer horror special

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 21:43 
Honey Boo Boo

I would still swear by Agent (yes, really) as I've been using it since I started needing multipart files off Usenet and Netscape's terrible built in newsreader (which basically displayed it as little more than a list of hyperlinks) could no longer cope.

The only paid-for newsgroup provider I've ever used was Supernews... but that was back in 1999 and I just used it to leech pr0n. Managed to exceed their monthly download limit several times as well!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 23:59 
Goth

Newzleech's search is nowhere near as good as Newzbin's but then you have to pay for Newzbin. 25p a week isn't too much to ask though I reckon. Those comments on them really are very helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 0:10 
Isn't that lovely?

I use grabit and astraweb for my news leaching needs.

Malc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 0:15 
Excellent Excellente

Nirejhenge wrote:
Newzleech's search is nowhere near as good as Newzbin's but then you have to pay for Newzbin.
And it seems Newzbin have closed themselves off to most of the public nowadays. A quick check of their site after not using their services for eons reveals them to have adopted a new invite-only service.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 0:50 
making out to faces of death

ltia wrote:
I think usenet is kind of dead, certainly for discussion groups. I remember the glory days of rec.music.progressive which was fecking awesome, but all the groups I read slowly died.

I think peeps here are only concerned with stealing stuff off the internets, not talking about subjects.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:14 

MarzSyndrome wrote:
Nirejhenge wrote:
Newzleech's search is nowhere near as good as Newzbin's but then you have to pay for Newzbin.
And it seems Newzbin have closed themselves off to most of the public nowadays. A quick check of their site after not using their services for eons reveals them to have adopted a new invite-only service.

This is both correct and not a problem to the Beexer with a double digit or higher IQ and access to the PM button.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:35 
Excellent Excellente

Dudley wrote:
MarzSyndrome wrote:
Nirejhenge wrote:

This is both correct and not a problem to the Beexer with a double digit or higher IQ and access to the PM button.

Still, is one at risk of losing the account again if it's forgotten for ages? I tried to login to Newzbin just now, having registered an account back in the Good Old Days (read: last year), only to fail dismally. I guess they decided to start afresh with their userbase, although how they would've had people to use up invites to begin with in that case is unknown.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:52 
Excellent Excellente

Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:
I use grabit and astraweb for my news leaching needs.

Malc

Speaking of GrabIt, you've reminded me of their quite handy 3-day quick download service (at the bottom of this page) - useful if you need to temporarily access Usenet for a few small things you can't get elsewhere.

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]