Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Good science fiction novels
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 15:15 
Kvnt

Hallo!

Just curious as to what your favourites might be, chaps. Please reel off everything you consider essential. :)

I recently read 'The Dispossessed' by Ursula Le Guin, which was a very allegorical, sociological sort of story, and while I thought it was great and very cleverly written, it's kind of put me in the mood for a trashier "So there's these fucking battlerobots. How messed up is that?" kind of experience. RMD, please!

Post subject: Re: Good science fiction novels
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 15:17 
Isn't that lovely?

Klatrymadon wrote:
Hallo!

Just curious as to what your favourites might be, chaps. Please reel off everything you consider essential. :)

I recently read 'The Dispossessed' by Ursula Le Guin, which was a very allegorical, sociological sort of story, and while I thought it was great and very cleverly written, it's kind of put me in the mood for a trashier "So there's these fucking battlerobots. How messed up is that?" kind of experience. RMD, please!

The Gap Series

Malc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 15:18 
UltraMod

If you haven't read the Foundation/Robot series by Asimov, then I'd say they were a must. Also the Rama saga by Arthur C Clarke.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 15:22 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Richard Morgan's Kovacs series... Altered Carbon is the first.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 15:24 
Excellent Painter

myoptika wrote:
If you haven't read the Foundation/Robot series by Asimov, then I'd say they were a must. Also the Rama saga by Arthur C Clarke.

Ha, I've just finished reading the first Foundation book, which handily had an order they should be read in in the frontispiece. You should start with the robot ones, really, as they were written in a sporadic fashion over Asimov's life and not in any chronological fashion, but it's no easy undertaking as there are about 15 or 20 books in total.

Not at all trashy really, but one of my all time favourite SciFi novels is Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land, which is excellent.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 15:25 
UltraMod

DBSnappa wrote:
myoptika wrote:

Ha, I've just finished reading the first Foundation book, which handily had an order they should be read in in the frontispiece. You should start with the robot ones, really, as they were written in a sporadic fashion over Asimov's life and not in any chronological fashion, but it's no easy undertaking as there are about 15 or 20 books in total.

Well, yes and no. Explaining further would spoil it for you, however.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 15:50 
Excellent Painter

myoptika wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
myoptika wrote:

Well, yes and no. Explaining further would spoil it for you, however.

Not for me personally. I should have said "re-reading" though the fact that I read last thing at night means I have less than total recall on most of the books so I've handily forgotten a lot of the narrative soup.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 15:54 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Snow Crash, obviously.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 16:01 

Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle: Cryptonomicon (split between WWII and the modern day), and Quicksilver, The Confusion, and The System Of The World (a linked trilogy with the ancestors of the characters in Cryptonomicon, set in the late 17th century). It's arguable whether they are sci-fi at all due to the historical novel setting, but they are entirely concerned with the impact of science and technology on the world (the three 17th Century novels span the period characterised by the likes of Newton, Hooke and Leibniz; from the end of the Renaissance to the beginnings of the Industrial Revolution and modern financial systems). As such, you'll certainly find them in the sci-fi section of your local book store.

They are the best books I've ever read, bar none. Incredibly intricate and detailed, with a case of dozens of major characters, but levened by Stephenson's dry wit and clever eye for detail. Also contains one of the most thrilling actions scenes I've ever read, in the form of a massive battle between a dozen motley escaped slave (including a huge Russian human tank, a ronin, a Dutch marine captain, an English vagabond, and many more) and a ton of English soldiers in the Casbah.

Very long too -- each of those four volumes is a thousand pages or so. Incredibly worth reading.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 16:03 
UltraMod

DBSnappa wrote:
Not for me personally. I should have said "re-reading" though the fact that I read last thing at night means I have less than total recall on most of the books so I've handily forgotten a lot of the narrative soup.

Well in that case, you do know that
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
the two sets of books exist in the same universe and end up converging, showing that R. Daneel from the first robot book Caves of Steel actually created psychohistory after all?

Please don't read the above if you haven't read the series and plan to do so. It's probably the biggest spoiler ever. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 16:08 
Excellent Painter

myoptika wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:

the two sets of books exist in the same universe and end up converging, showing that R. Daneel from the first robot book Caves of Steel actually created psychohistory after all?

Please don't read the above if you haven't read the series and plan to do so. It's probably the biggest spoiler ever. :)

And don't reply either as it's exposes the spoiler text. Fortunately for Myoptika's future wellbeing I did know this :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 16:08 

myoptika wrote:
I knew that. Zeroth law, yeah? I had a massive Asimov binge in my youth, via my local library; I read about 80% of everything he'd written over the space of a few years, including all the Robot short stories and novels, and the Empire and Foundation books and their associated bits and pieces.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 16:18 
Isn't that lovely?

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
myoptika wrote:
I knew that. Zeroth law, yeah? I had a massive Asimov binge in my youth, via my local library; I read about 80% of everything he'd written over the space of a few years, including all the Robot short stories and novels, and the Empire and Foundation books and their associated bits and pieces.

:this: :this: :this:

When I was 17 I had a paper round. I spent the money from that almost exclusively on books and computer games.

All the books I bought (fiction) are to do with scifi/fantasy/horror. I must have bought about 500 of them from that age till about 23, reading about 2/3 books a week.

Of course moving out of parents flat and having kids put an end to all that...

Malc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 16:21 
Sleepyhead

Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:
Klatrymadon wrote:
Hallo!

The Gap Series

Malc

This is excellent.

Also,

Snow Crash, as mentioned.

'Spares', by Michael Marshall Smith

'Vurt' by Jeff Noon (though this is a sort of psychadelic cyberpunk)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 16:36 

Curiosity wrote:
I've only read One Of Us so far. Him and Richard Morgan are on my "buy this already" list.

No-one has mentioned Charlie Stross. The Atrocity Archive and The Jennifer Morgue are great, as is Accelerando.

Also, Iain M Banks writes the best modern space opera, trufax.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 16:37 
UltraMod

How could I forget Banks. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 16:41 
Excellent Painter

Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
myoptika wrote:

When I was 17 I had a paper round. I spent the money from that almost exclusively on books and computer games.

All the books I bought (fiction) are to do with scifi/fantasy/horror. I must have bought about 500 of them from that age till about 23, reading about 2/3 books a week.

I bet you were the neighbourhoods oldest paperboy!@

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 16:46 
Sleepyhead

None of these are particularly BANG BANG ROBOT RAA books, but I also like:

"Kil'n People" by David Brin

"Stone" by Adam Roberts (almost any of his are good... 'Land of the Headless' is another one I liked)

"Camp Concentration" is also an absolute classic, written by Thomas M Disch.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 16:49 
Isn't that lovely?

DBSnappa wrote:
Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
myoptika wrote:

I bet you were the neighbourhoods oldest paperboy!@

Nah, there was some guy who did about 4 rounds in his car. he was about 50. There were 4 kids and this guy. My younger brother and me, and 2 other kids (who were also brothers, but not related to us) they were both older than me.

So, not even the oldest for the newsagent that I worked for. And there were at least 10 other newsagents within walking distance of my flat.

Malc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 16:50 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Just re-read all Altered Carbon and the other two....

You realsie how hard Tak Kovacs is... I so want envoy conditioning

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 16:55 
Sleepyhead

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
I've only read One Of Us so far. Him and Richard Morgan are on my "buy this already" list.

No-one has mentioned Charlie Stross. The Atrocity Archive and The Jennifer Morgue are great, as is Accelerando.

Also, Iain M Banks writes the best modern space opera, trufax.

Michael Marshall Smith (also published as Michael Marshall) is probably my favourite author ever.

"Only Forward" is the other one of the three he wrote at that point in his career. It was, until very recently, my fave book ever.

If you like a wonderfully rich steampunk book - "Perdido Street Station" by the ever-wonderful China Mieville is another in my top two or three books ever.

"The Sparrow" by Mary Doria Russell is a harrowing one - it's the story of a Jesuit mission to another inhabited planet, and what happens when they finally meet the 'aliens'. Here's a clue; it all goes fine for a bit, then horribly wrong.

The Charles Stross books are good. "The Atrocity Archive" and then "The Jennifer Morgue" are really good sci-fi spy pastiches. "Halting State" is a very good cyber-thriller. "Singularity Sky" can be a bit much like hard work at times though. A very hard sf book.

Of course, then there's always stuff like "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley, etc etc etc.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 17:10 
Excellent Painter

Curiosity wrote:

"The Sparrow" by Mary Doria Russell is a harrowing one - it's the story of a Jesuit mission to another inhabited planet, and what happens when they finally meet the 'aliens'. Here's a clue; it all goes fine for a bit, then horribly wrong.

If this has anythign to do with
nails and large wooden crosses then I claim Harry Harrison wrote it first ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 17:39 
Sleepyhead

DBSnappa wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

If this has anythign to do with
nails and large wooden crosses then I claim Harry Harrison wrote it first ;)

Not at all.

It's a novel about faith and clashes of culture, in a space exploration setting. It's never too heavy handed though, like the suggestion you just made.

:)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 17:57 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Peter Hamilton's Nights Dawn Trilogy: Sexy space opera with interesting ideas and the undead...VERY LONG
Perter Hamilton's Pandora's Star / Judas Unchained: Sexy space opera with interesting ideas and a very alien threat

Stephen Baxter's Origin Series: V.Hard Sci Fi, very, very bleak (but excellent)
Stephen Baxter's Time Ships: Sequel to The Time Machine, most excellent indeedy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 17:59 
making out to faces of death

I'm reading Only Forward right now, as it was in the book recommendations a while ago here. It's quite good fun so far, if a bit smug and too-cool-for-school. I'm enjoying it though.

Snow Crash isn't all that good. DrG listed some better Stephenson books. The Gap series is great (if you can get past the kind of trashy first book) but it's not really "woot! laser robots!"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 18:16 

Curiosity wrote:
the ever-wonderful China Mieville

What's he all about then, because I've avoieded him so far due to his stupid name and looking like a bit of a cock on the telly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 18:32 
Sleepyhead

Goatboy wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
the ever-wonderful China Mieville

What's he all about then, because I've avoieded him so far due to his stupid name and looking like a bit of a cock on the telly.

How to describe...

Well, most of his books (Perdido Street Station, The Scar, Iron Council) are set in one world (Bas Lag), but you don't need to know anything of them to read the others. The main city, New Crobuzon, is a steampunk kind of place, where people can be 'Remade' according to their crimes, which often include mechanical or animal parts being included in their body. Several races live there, including people who are cactuses, and others who are insect types. The first book is a sprawling book, featuring a moderately large cast, and it creates this world more convincingly than any other I have read. There's some magic in there too (sort of), but it's a gothic steampunk sf/fantasy book written with incredible emotion, and without pussying out on interesting endings and fates for certain characters.

Also, that actually is his name, so it's not an affectation.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 18:36 
Gogmagog

Yeah, Iain M Banks stuff can be good, but he does put toe curlingly awful sex scenes in unecessarily. Which makes it less good. Excession is good, as is Consider Phlebas.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 19:01 

Anything by Philip K Dick is a good sci fi novel.

I quite like Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep which inspired Bladerunner.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 19:02 
Kvnt

Thanks for all the input, folks! Much appreciated. A lot of this stuff I do already own, but my shopping list has still grown exponentially this evening, hehe. Definitely picking up Cryptonomicon and Snow Crash as soon as I can; I'd been umming and ahhing about those for a while.

Anybody have any thoughts on the Vorkosigan Saga (particularly 'Falling Free') or the Mars trilogy? Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 19:08 
Skillmeister

Cobracure wrote:
Anything by Philip K Dick is a good sci fi novel.

Fucking :this: Oh ar.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 19:09 
making out to faces of death

I much preferred Diamond Age to Snow Crash, in a "similar vein" dilemma.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 19:56 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Frank Herbert's Dune - ignore the follow-ups if you want to - they're great, but the first can stand alone.

Isaaaaaac Aaaasimov's Foundation - I've only read the first, and will read more eventually, but the first is acebest.

H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds - still a magnificent piece of storytelling. Still neatly understated, with a uniquely intelligent-yet-ordinary protagonist who is almost the polar opposite of Tom 'Cunting' Cruise.

H.G. Wells' The Sleeper Awakes - the grandfather of almost every 'future society' story and film, and still a damned good read. An insomniac falls into a slumber for 200 years, and when he wakes up, investments made on his behalf by friends have made him basically the owner of society, which is run by an elitist cabal who keep the masses oppressed in lives of drudgery, working to maintain the ultra-huge cities (while the countryside rots - Wells predicted the supremacy of mass transit rather than affordable private cars), whose only sustaining hope is that the Sleeper will one day awake and set them free. Classic stuff, rarely bettered. Bit weak at the end, but hey ho.

Pretty much any Wells sci-fi, in fact. Unlike a lot of innovators, his work was strong enough to be excellent even without the originality, and even his weaker books are interesting in parts and effortlessly readable. And that's just the sci-fi - he did loads more besides.

John Wyndham's The Chryssalids - excellent far-future post-apocalypse tale about genetic mutation, religious dogma, and human potential. Full of typical Wyndham social commentary and theorising, but never at the expense of the story or characters. I'd recommend most of Wyndham's work, too - he always struck me as a spiritual successor to Wells (and arguably the predecessor of Michael Crichton), always striking a perfect balance between intellectual discussion and compelling storytelling.

The Seeds of Time - Wyndham's short stories, a bunch of them about spacey things, but mostly very good regardless.

The Red Dwarf books. They run in parallel to the series in parts, but there are vast differences and a generally coherent narrative and plot holding them together, and the themes and characters are still comical, but are handled with a more serious and in-depth touch than the series, and offer some clever and thought-provoking ideas while entertaining you instead of showing off.

I realise most of these aren't spacey, but y'know, it's all just the same stuff in a floaty tin can.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 21:19 
Skillmeister

Hold the fuck on there man.

Quote:
Frank Herbert's Dune - ignore the follow-ups if you want to - they're great, but the first can stand alone.

Look me in the swollen, bloodshot eye and say you think Chapterhouse and Heretics were good.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 21:20 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Dimrill wrote:
Hold the fuck on there man.

Quote:

Look me in the swollen, bloodshot eye and say you think Chapterhouse and Heretics were good.

I've not read Chapter house, and it's been about ten years since I read Heretics. I remember God Emperor being interesting for some reason, but that's about it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 21:22 
Skillmeister

I'll sum up chapter house for you: Duncan Idaho trapped in a no-ship for fucking years while fuck all happens then they fuck off nowhere.

Heretics: Fuck all happens, a woman loves worms, hungry man eats some soup and goes batshit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 21:23 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Dimrill wrote:
I'll sum up chapter house for you: Duncan Idaho trapped in a no-ship for fucking years while fuck all happens then they fuck off nowhere.

Hang on, are you saying Herbert ripped off James Joyce?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 21:27 
Skillmeister

In fact, God Emperor: worm-Leto wonders stuff, rolls on Duncan Idaho a few times.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 21:59 
Full of plumptiousness

Based upon recommendations from people with good taste in books, I recently read the below Science Fiction books and can thoroughly commend them to all:

A Fire Upon the Deep, by Vernor Vinge
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Fire_Upon_the_Deep

Light, by M John Harrison
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_(novel)

The Stars My Destination (AKA Tiger, Tiger), by Alfred Bester
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stars_My_Destination

All 100% excellent.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 22:42 
Kvnt

Blake-inspired sci-fi? Holy fuck. Sold.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 22:44 
Sleepyhead

AceAceBaby wrote:
I much preferred Diamond Age to Snow Crash, in a "similar vein" dilemma.

I personally didn't like The Diamond Age, but I did read it about ten years ago and had very different tastes at the time. It just went on and on about calligraphy and stuff, which bored me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 22:44 
Sleepyhead

Sir Hugh wrote:

All 100% excellent.

Seconded

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 22:53 
Full of plumptiousness

It is astonishingly ahead of its time. Its time being 1956. Astonishingly.

But, whatever you do, don't read The Demolished Man. It is pish.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:12 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Dimrill wrote:
In fact, God Emperor: worm-Leto wonders stuff, rolls on Duncan Idaho a few times.

Les Misérables: ex-convict meets kindly bishop, hijinks ensue.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:18 
Excellent Member

Sir Hugh wrote:

All 100% excellent.

:this:

Simply put one the greatest SF books ever written. Funny, savage, mesmerising, thrilling and thought provoking - and slim! Also has one of the bestest anti-heroes ever. Also read 'The Demolished Man' by the same author, which is all of the above too.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:27 
Comfortably Dumb

Sir Hugh wrote:

nervouspete wrote:
Simply put one the greatest SF books ever written. Funny, savage, mesmerising, thrilling and thought provoking - and slim! Also has one of the bestest anti-heroes ever. Also read 'The Demolished Man' by the same author, which is all of the above too.

:S

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:46 
Honey Boo Boo

The Man-Kzin Wars series entertained me thoroughly in the early 90s, a series of short stories set in Larry Niven's excellent 'Known Space' universe, which had a lot of interesting technology and aliens to discover.

I second the Red Dwarf books as well... they provide an interesting, more in-depth tale of the crew's adventures that the hardened fan (like myself) will find fascinatingly different. Small aspects of some episodes are spun out into massive story arcs, for example.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:30 
UltraMod

Sir Hugh wrote:

The film adaptation with Stallone wasn't much cop, either.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:41 
Excellent Member

Knackered as I was when I posted I didn't actually see Sir Hugh's qualifier. :)

He's wrong of course, I really enjoyed it. Though to be honest now I think about it Demolish Man ISN'T quite as good as Stars/Tiger Tiger.

Also read Ray Bradbury 'The Martian Chronicles'.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 21:07 
INFINITE POWAH

The Forever War's deffo worth a punt. A Vietnam allegory that has some relevance today, too. And it's an interesting take on spacechips and space travel.

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next