Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ] 
 Post subject: Guns n' Roses
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 23:21 

Rockin'

(and no, this doesn't go in the metul thread).

Post subject: Re: Guns n' Roses
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 23:39 
Rude Belittler

W-wait... it actually exists??? *Looks around for the Four Horsemen (Apocalypse, not wrestling)*

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 0:21 

It exists. And halfway in, I like it rather a lot. Apparently it tails off though. Nonetheless, I'm off down the shops Monday.

/edit much caterwauling, good stuff :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 0:28 
UltraMod

Hasn't this been in the offing for about ten years? I remember reading about it in Kerrang in probably around about 2000. Not that I'm interested in GnR at all, mind.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 0:30 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Colour me excited! I know I could probably get a version to hear now but I'm waiting till I get the proper release on Monday and then I'm giving it all the time it needs to sink in and sound good!

Any band that can release Appetite for Destruction has got to be ok in my books!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 0:36 
Chinny chin chin

Fuck me! That must mean the CPC version of Street Fighter 2 must also be out!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 0:38 
Rude Belittler

*Waits for 'Duke Nukem Forever released in time for Christmas!' shocker!*

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 0:39 

Fourteen years.

The advert during the football tonight was making light of it... which caused me to check usenet.

I can see how people are going to miss what the other 'originals' brought to the band, but as a first crack at going it 'alone' Rose has done a decent job here. Looking forward to Monday and a read of the booklet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 23:54 
Excellent Excellente

Pundabaya wrote:
*Waits for 'Duke Nukem Forever released in time for Christmas!' shocker!*

My money's on 'Ash's horror masterpiece Slashed to be released in cinemas by Christmas!' myself.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:54 
and!

I'll be really suprised if this isn't banal shite. Hope it isn't, though. Are these actually ten year old performances, or did they re-record them? Was there any reason not to release it other than it being humdrum cobblers?

The other question is should it really be called Guns n Roses and not Axel Rose's solo band? It's kind of a bit like Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi. Then again, not even Slash was an original member (unless my memory is faulty) so it's not like there was an original definitive line up like Sabbath.

Comedy podcast, films and that - http://www.wenton.co.uk - Now with Hammer horror special

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 13:43 
Skillmeister

Ten year old performances apparently. Sixteen different studios used over the years, six(?) guitarists credited on one track type of deal.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 14:15 
Son of a Reaperman

ltia wrote:
Then again, not even Slash was an original member (unless my memory is faulty) so it's not like there was an original definitive line up like Sabbath.

You're right, Tracii Guns was their first guitarist. Hence, 'Guns and Roses', after him and Axl Rose. He later went on to form LA Guns.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 17:29 

Reviews I think are fair. Whichever way you look at it, Chinese Democracy is a valid and worthwhile album for this band.

http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/c ... an_reviews

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/alb ... _democracy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 22:46 
Excellent Member

Goatboy wrote:
Chinese Democracy is a valid and worthwhile album for this band.

But is this band still valid and worthwhile? Or even a band?

I doubt that I'll be asked to play anything from this should I still be doing my rock type DJing in 10 years time (and I severely hope to be).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 0:13 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Jon, I shall make it my personal mission to come find you in 10 years and 1 days time and ask you to play the title track off Chinese Democracy... watch that I do!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 22:41 

Jon wrote:

But is this band still valid and worthwhile? Or even a band?

I doubt that I'll be asked to play anything from this should I still be doing my rock type DJing in 10 years time (and I severely hope to be).

Oh, for pity's sake. Always the 'not a real band' argument. Are New Model Army just Justin Sullivan now, are Napalm Death no longer Napalm without Mick, Bill, Lee and the rest? Are the Wildehearts, Almighty, Sisters, Wonderstuff or Nine Inch Nails (or Marilyn Manson) any different in their incarnations over the years? There's people who've clocked up more time in G n' R than Adler or Sorum, now. Dizzy Reed being the longest serving member beyond Axl.

They are still a band, they tour and release (an) album(s). Looking at the other big bands from classic G n' R's final year or two, you've got U2, Metallica and the Chillis, bands like that. All of whom have steadily released more and more fucking shit as the years have drawn on. Axl spent the time making sure he released one record that rocks.

It'll sell tonnes and millions will still like them and all will be well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 22:42 
Gogmagog

BUT IS IT ANY FUCKING GOOD?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 22:44 
Skillmeister

Well it's Guns N Roses, so no it isn't. Hate them and always have done. Especially the slithery shrieking child that squawks into the can.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 22:58 
Comfortably Dumb

I'm puzzled as to why this seems to be the only recent (er, I'm assuming it's recent, anyway) photograph of Axl Rose. Every time I see the album mentioned on a website, it comes with this pic.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 23:00 
Gogmagog

Dimrill wrote:
Well it's Guns N Roses, so no it isn't. Hate them and always have done. Especially the slithery shrieking child that squawks into the can.

Anyone that thinks "Appetite.." isn't one of the best albums ever needs their head examining.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 23:01 
Skillmeister

Because he has a weird messed up face from plastic surgery causing significant Crasterisation.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 23:09 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Blimey. Mother?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 0:17 
Excellent Member

Goatboy wrote:

Oh, for pity's sake. Always the 'not a real band' argument. Are New Model Army just Justin Sullivan now, are Napalm Death no longer Napalm without Mick, Bill, Lee and the rest? Are the Wildehearts, Almighty, Sisters, Wonderstuff or Nine Inch Nails (or Marilyn Manson) any different in their incarnations over the years? There's people who've clocked up more time in G n' R than Adler or Sorum, now. Dizzy Reed being the longest serving member beyond Axl.

No, that's not what I meant. Hell, I can't get enough Sisters of Mercy and Siouxsie and the Banshees so original line-ups don't really mean much to me at all if I like the music.

What I meant (but did not fully explain) was that if the point about the six (?) guitarists on one track was correct or even some way to being correct then they're not a real band, they're Axel Rose and a bunch of session musicians who it seems he is rather unimpressed with. As I wasn't sure it was accurate, I phrased it as a question.

For the record, I actually do think of the Sisters as Andrew Eldritch's ego machine + session musicians rather than a band. But I don't care.

You do sound a rather big G n' R fan, so I hope you do enjoy the album because you've had rather a long wait. But I still think that in ten years time people will remember "Appetite for Destruction" more than "Chinese Democracy".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:16 

People will remember Appetite in a thousand years, never mind ten. (Nevermind, Ten.. see what I inadvertantly did, there?). I rather suspect that Rose's timescale did not and would not suit many players in the context of this album, hence the turnover, and one or two had issues they needed to sort out, as I recall. Didn't a couple quit because they didn't want to go touring?

I'm fairly convinced that were Rose to have 'hurried' the album, you'd have had one or two 'main' new band members apparent, and each would have had the Slash/Duff/Izzy comparisons, which for anyone with the balls to join G n' R in the first place would be a cruel inevitability they could well thrive without. Now Rose has created a buffer zone and any one of the multitude of musicians on this new album could make their spot firm and get away with it in the public eye. Rose has manned up here and taken the entireity of the pressure. Fair play for that, those playing on this album are doing just that, playing on an album, which is all G n' R were doing with Appetite, after all.

And we can all play fantasy G n' R 3.0 in the meantime. I want to see Slash and Izzy repacements in the form of Geordie White and Ginger Wildheart respectively.

And get Bach or Josh Todd in for Velvet Revolver, who can still contribute if they are sensible.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:43 
SavyGamer

Am I a bad person for really liking some of the songs on Chinese Democracy?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:28 

Not at all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:52 
SavyGamer

Yay!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 16:35 
and!

I don't think it's a problem that new people are in the band - this is a good healthy thing and in Jazz is considered a good thing. It's only in rock people don't like it because of stupid hero-worship bollocks, which becomes difficult if it's different people in the band all the time.

What I am concerned with is that this situation may not really be a band at all - just session musicians on a pay roll, which isn't the same thing and is, in fact, the Axle Rose band. Which would make it much less interesting, imo. No idea if it is though, but that's what I suspect.

Comedy podcast, films and that - http://www.wenton.co.uk - Now with Hammer horror special

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 16:46 
Excellent Member

but i guess everyone here knows that Guns n' Roses was about 70% Axl before Izzy left and 100% afterward. Altough i have to agree that Slash and Duff's stage presence is certainly going to me missed in gigs. They played here in 2006 and i didn't go (53€ for the ticket), but if it was the classic line up i would pay more than that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 17:08 
and!

Slash's tone was certainly significant, I'd say almost as important as the song writing. Didn't he write anything?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 17:22 
Excellent Member

ltia wrote:
Slash's tone was certainly significant, I'd say almost as important as the song writing. Didn't he write anything?

i don't think so, besides the ocassional lead and solo. But mighty solos they were, i have to add.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 18:27 
Skillmeister

Blabbermouth gave it 6.5/10.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 19:34 

Nonsense! He reckons Sorry sounds like Metallica, when in fact it precisely rips off Gilmour era Floyd. That said, I'm not about to spend my time giving a bad review a bad review.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 19:37 
SavyGamer

Goatboy wrote:
Nonsense! He reckons Sorry sounds like Metallica, when in fact it precisely rips off Gilmour era Floyd. That said, I'm not about to spend my time giving a bad review a bad review.

I give this post a 7/10.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 21:11 
Skillmeister

Sorry obviously sounds like a repressed Ronnie Corbett.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 21:18 

Yeah? Well you smell like penises.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 21:19 
Skillmeister

That's because of my love of penises.

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]