Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Organ donation
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:14 
Gogmagog

This has been running on the news this morning.

I don't have a problem with bits of me being given away once I die at all, as I'll be dead, and the bits left over are going to be burnt anyway, someone else might get use of my bits.

On my driving licence, I filled in the form to "take the lot" (apologies for the state of the lungs and liver, though) and find it odd that people often feel squiffy about the whole concept.

What's the view from this floor?

Post subject: Re: Organ donation
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:17 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I joined the organ donor register. So I don't have to carry a card, and the NHS are aware of my wishes.

I understand certain cultures and relgions don't approve of it, but if it can save some one elses life.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:18 
Hibernating Druid

I think it's more about how your loved ones feel as they have to wait longer before burying 65% of you.

I dunno, I suppose everyone should do it really.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:19 
Not to be confused with elbow

My family are donors, but certain parts we've asked them not to take

I joined the organ donor register aswell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:19 

MaliA wrote:
On my driving licence, I filled in the form to "take the lot" (apologies for the state of the lungs and liver, though) and find it odd that people often feel squiffy about the whole concept.
I think it's a generational thing. A lot of people older than us feel odd about it, most people our age and younger seem more accepting.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:20 
Gogmagog

Shin wrote:
My family are donors, but certain parts we've asked them not to take

I joined the organ donor register aswell

Which parts, and why?

Can you dig it?

If I'm dead, I won't be needing any of the fleshy bits inside (or even outside) of my body any more, so if bits could go towards helping someone, or a really awesome practical joke, go for it.

Even for medical research and training purposes too.

My wife is aware of my wishes, she feels the same...

I have just asked to ensure that I am dead before she starts giving bits of me away.

and no Mali you can't have my wife when i die!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:21 

Eyes and heart-I know the heart is important, but there are reasons that I don't really want to go into as I'll sound like a saddo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:23 

so are the eyes... will help people see again.

I am going to be cremated or buried at sea... not decided yet.

But if any part of me can save or give some one a bteer life, then that would be great

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:24 

My eyes are fucked anyway, no bugger would want 'em

I'm being cremated to follow in the footsteps of my Grandad and then have half the family not turn up at my funeral because they are bastards and put religion before family

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:25 
Gogmagog

Shin wrote:
Eyes and heart-I know the heart is important, but there are reasons that I don't really want to go into as I'll sound like a saddo

Why? 'Cos I hear "Eyes" a lot, and think it's silly not to.

I'm more than happy to be broken for spares.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:26 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I'm on the donor list, but hopefully by the time I die it won't be needed as we'll harvest all the organs we need from cloned humanzees that we grow in special pods in the lab.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:28 

What happens to corpses should be left to the family or the wishes of the deceased. I just don't like the idea of the state automatically presuming ownership.

In my will, I'm going to request that to receive the vast Kern estate the potential beneficaries will have to eat my choice cuts.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:29 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'm annoyed they didn't go ahead with the opt-out, frankly. I would have gone further, because I don't feel that there's any valid reason for witholding your organs when they could save someone's life. I'd also make blood donation mandatory, say quarterly or something, as long as there's no medical reason for the person not to.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:31 

Okay, you will all think it's me being sad and shit-but what's new :p hehe

My mum and her brothers (and also their family aswell I believe) are keeping their eyes and hearts and my mum asked us if we would do the same too* as we are all donors in the family. Me and Rae agreed, but mum asked if we would keep our hearts and eyes, we asked why and she said:

'Because when you get to heaven and everyone is up there then you will be able to see and find them and love them like you did on earth'

Is it sad that I am upset right now? Hate this bastard thread now :'( :'( :'(

*of course we have a choice if we want to or not-but me and Rae have both decided to do this aswell)
**reason behind this is my cousin had a little baby that was very very ill and she had a new heart and is alive today because of some mothers sacrafice and we are very very thankful-my cousin I believe goes round to see the lady a few times each year and sends Xmas cards and stuff, it's lovely

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:31 

Craster wrote:
I'm annoyed they didn't go ahead with the opt-out, frankly. I would have gone further, because I don't feel that there's any valid reason for witholding your organs when they could save someone's life. I'd also make blood donation mandatory, say quarterly or something, as long as there's no medical reason for the person not to.

:this: every bit helps

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:32 
Gogmagog

Kern wrote:
What happens to corpses should be left to the family or the wishes of the deceased. I just don't like the idea of the state automatically presuming ownership.

In my will, I'm going to request that to receive the vast Kern estate the potential beneficaries will have to eat my choice cuts.

Is cannibalism illegal? If it is, that renders that bit of the contract void.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:33 

Shin wrote:

My mum and her brothers (and also their family aswell I believe) are keeping their eyes and hearts and my mum asked us if we would do the same too* as we are all donors in the family. Me and Rae agreed, but mum asked if we would keep our hearts and eyes, we asked why and she said:

'Because when you get to heaven and everyone is up there then you will be able to see and find them and love them like you did on earth'

*of course we have a choice if we want to or not-but me and Rae have both decided to do this aswell)
**reason behind this is my cousin had a little baby that was very very ill and she had a new heart and is alive today because of some mothers sacrafice and we are very very thankful-my cousin I believe goes round to see the lady a few times each year and sends Xmas cards and stuff, it's lovely

Do you and your mother reaslise that the body just decomposes?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:34 
Hibernating Druid

OT: Isn't David Bowie going to be preserved in a tank when he dies but with his head replaced with that of a horse/bull? I'm sure I've read/heard that somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:35 
Gogmagog

Kovacs Caprios wrote:
Shin wrote:

Do you and your mother reaslise that the body just decomposes?

And blind people cannot find love.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:35 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Zardoz wrote:
OT: Isn't David Bowie going to be preserved in a tank when he dies but with his head replaced with that of a horse/bull? I'm sure I've read/heard that somewhere.

It's being replaced with Burt Reynolds' head.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:39 

Not being rude or anything Kovacs but:

Yes, I am not thick, thank you so much. It's to do with what you feel and believe in the end.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:43 

Sir Taxalot wrote:
If I'm dead, I won't be needing any of the fleshy bits inside (or even outside) of my body any more, so if bits could go towards helping someone, or a really awesome practical joke, go for it.

Even for medical research and training purposes too.

I wonder if I could leave mine on the condition they were only used for practical jokes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:43 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Mrs Squirt has similar feelings about eyes - I've excluded my corneas but they're willing to take anything else. My eyes are broken and rubbish anyway, so it probably isn't too big a loss. My pancreas kicks ass though - they're all going to be fighting over that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:44 
Hibernating Druid

I might donate my nipples to Kerry Katona on the condition that they sew up her mouth.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:44 

Shin wrote:
Not being rude or anything Kovacs but:

Yes, I am not thick, thank you so much. It's to do with what you feel and believe in the end.

True.... I did not mean to offend.. but i am not a fan of religion, it makes people do daft things in the name of a god.

I just think it is better to save someones life, that follow an out dated religion..
If you look at religion would it not be better to save a life, as the 'spirt' can't use physical organs.

<puts lid back on can of worms>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:45 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'm not too bothered about my own organs, but I will be buried grasping the severed genitals of my enemies, so I can force them to serve me in the underworld.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:46 

Doc: I have the results from your tests, and you have the highest cholesterol level I've ever seen.
Fat Patient: Oh.
Doc: This may sound a bit premature... but when you die, would you mind leaving your body to me?
Fat Patient: Well, if I can be of some use after I'm gone. For research, I suppose?
Doc: No. I want to hang you up in the garden so the blue tits can peck at you.

I've not really made anything official donor-wise or anything but I've no objection to my squelchy bits being used to help others.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:47 
Legendary Boogeyman

The keen-eyed oldies at WoS will have spotted many a (now curiously MISSING) thread over there about me urging people to sign up to the register. A couple of years ago I was involved with (and was actually a trustee of) a new charity that purported to help try to raise awareness about the need for organ donors.

The new charity came about because the official state-funded charity for this purpose is run by a load of fucking incompetant dickholes who were less concerned with raising awareness and more concerned with holding self-serving disorganised events. One of their awareness events that I went to managed to attract about 20 students and me and my gf. This didn't concern the staff holding the event, because I then watched them pig out on their overly expensive catering and get drunk on loads of wine, all paid for by the charity. It was fucking disgusting. The woman in charge of the charity later employed her boyfriend (that later became her husband) in a fundraising role, in what was blatantly a complete fucking abuse of power. Bunch of fucking cunts.

Anyway, unfortunately the charity I was involved with I didn't continue to support, as I fell out with the other trustees about the direction to take. Basically, they were too much of a fucking bunch of fence-sitters. I wanted us to come out in favour of opt-out, because fuck me it would accomplish 90% of the goals the charity was started for. The rest of them though were worried about upsetting a few minor groups who were against opt-out, and now their primary mandate is to 'get people talking about organ donation'.

Get people talking? What fucking use is that? Getting people to vaguely 'talk' without having a reason or strong position behind it is totally pointless.

I have no faith in that charity any more either, as they recently won a fundraising award of some kind and their desire to tell everyone about it has now practically overtaken their website. Really, if you're a charity that's trying to promote organ donation you should be trying to talk about that rather than advertising your irrelevant 'awards' on your website.

The whole thing depresses me, but only because I disagree with the pathetic, scared manner in which the existing charities are going about raising awareness. It's not doing the job at all and none of them have any power or influence (indeed, they would need BALLS to be a driving force of any kind) to influence initiatives such as opt-out. Neither of then will come out for or against it. The whole thing is just such a fucking waste of time and effort.

Anyway, join the register, I have :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:48 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
I'm not too bothered about my own organs, but I will be buried grasping the severed genitals of my enemies, so I can force them to serve me in the underworld.

Why do you want your enemies' genitals to serve you?

It's not religion, it's what we 'believe' or want to (maybe that is religion up to a point) but concidering some people don't donate at all I think that me keeping those parts is okay-sorry if that makes me selfish or whatever but I don't give a flying fuck.

Also I used to donate blood, but since having tattoo's I can't because you have to wait until 2 years have passed (?) until you can give blood after one-people can probably shed more light on it though

Hibernating Druid

GazChap wrote:
I've no objection to my squelchy bits being used to help others.

I've been meaning to brush up on my sodomy. PM sent.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:49 

6 months after a tattoo or pericings now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:51 
Unpossible!

organs are organs. If pig livers were compatible with human bodies, we'd all be alcoholics :). But if Shin specifically wants to keep bits, let her for sheeses sake. There'll be plenty lying around after my deadly rampage is over anyway!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:51 
That Rev Chap

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Anyway, join the register, I have :)

Done!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:52 
Gogmagog

Kovacs Caprios wrote:
6 months after a tattoo or pericings now.

Isn't that someting to do with detecting the AIDS and HIV, the risk being associated with those pastimes?

Anyways, why not corneas? Why's that?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:52 
Unpossible!

i like giving blood. You get 20 minutes lie down, a cup of tea and a buscuit and you get to flirt with nurses (if your lucky). Ooh and the sense of well being meshes with the dizzy woozy feeling. Nice!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:53 
That Rev Chap

I hate giving blood because I'm a fat bastard with no visible veins.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:54 
Legendary Boogeyman

Handy link to join the register online

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:55 
Gogmagog

ComicalGnomes wrote:

Good man. Emailed to MrsA as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:55 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Not sure - Mrs Squirt gets really freaked out about the idea of burying me with my eyes all messed up, so I'm bowing to her wishes ( she's the one who is going to have to deal with the dead me, after all ). If it was up to me, they could cut all the useful stuff out of me and then dump me in a ditch for the rats and crows to eat.

I've donated blood twice now and both times I've had some hairy old guy doing it. Flirting was not a enticing option.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:56 

Oh! I'll be able to give blood again now then! Good-oh :)

It used to be bloody ages to wait to give blood again after the inkage
It's also to do with blood poisoning I believe, but don't quote me

Thanks Dav :) I'll give whatever I have (although not much actually works properly in me anyway)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:58 

Squirt wrote:
Not sure - Mrs Squirt gets really freaked out about the idea of burying me with my eyes all messed up, so I'm bowing to her wishes ( she's the one who is going to have to deal with the dead me, after all ). If it was up to me, they could cut all the useful stuff out of me and then dump me in a ditch for the rats and crows to eat.

I've donated blood twice now and both times I've had some hairy old guy doing it. Flirting was not a enticing option.

They can put false eyes in the corpse so it looks like it did. Plus it is more respectful to close the deads eyes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:58 
Gogmagog

Shin wrote:
but don't quote me

OK.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:59 
Hibernating Druid

Craster wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

It's being replaced with Burt Reynolds' head.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:59 
Legendary Boogeyman

There were considerable problems a couple of years ago with families reneging on the consent of the individual. Basically, even if you've got the donor card in your wallet and you're all signed up, it used to be that your family could step in at the last minute and say no, if you were in a coma or whatnot.

Obviously that's really shit, because a lot of emotional families have ended up doing this. It's been a while and I'd need to double-check my facts, but I believe this is no longer the case, at least in Scotland but I believe it was also due to come in to England too.

This is why people were encouraged to make sure their families knew (and strenuously reinforced) their wishes, so that if the time came old mom and pop wouldn't suddenly get all sentimental about your worthless dead organs.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:00 
Gogmagog

Squirt wrote:
Not sure - Mrs Squirt gets really freaked out about the idea of burying me with my eyes all messed up,

Nah, sorry, still not getting it.

I even signed up on the bone marrow donor list, the last time i gave blood.

It is really easy to give blood here, as the blood bus turns up!

:DD @ Mali

I did some work Exp' at a funeral directors, that was shit scary! Brain matter and everything-nom nom! It's weird all the stuff they have to do to make them look 'okay' before people see them in the Chapel and stuffs

Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next