Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Switching to Linux..
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 20:32 
Gogmagog

I use this PC for web browsing, email (via web based interfaces), getting law reports and articles in .pdf format and few other things. For some reason, this computer repeatedly forgets the wireless password and it takes an age to get it running again, and Windows does not believe it is genuine, either.

So, if I were to stick some "distro" on it, approximately how hard is it going to be to get everything working (Radeon 9800 Pro, USB2.0 card, wireless card, a fan and a couple of hard drives) and working with less effort that it is now.

And will my games work?

And Open Office.

Love and hugs, MaliA.

Post subject: Re: Switching to Linux..
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 20:37 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Linux Mint is the best for you, I'd say. It'll set all the crap up by itself, including all your drivers, codecs, OpenOffice...everything. Install, load, done. No fiddling required.

It's based on Ubuntu, and it's solid.

What games are you trying to run? Anythign newish isn't gonna work properly. I run WoW, Lordy Lordy Online, CS:Source, Sam and Max, and EvE all fine, though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 20:40 
Chinny chin chin

MaliA wrote:

Love and hugs, MaliA.

Ubuntu is good and things work far better than they used to but the moment you go outside of what is provided you end up having to delve into command line and heading into a world of grief. Likewise driver support is good but can be a pain. For example although my old printer would work in Linux I couldn't access all the usual print options.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 20:43 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

I'm currently testing Intrepid RC1 on a separate partition. It's OK. I think I'll wait for the Mintified version though, it's just so much easier to use and it's set up to do things like play DVDs out of the box. I wouldn't imagine there's anything you need to do that the standard setup wouldn't cover.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 21:04 

Mali -- you'll get a good idea of driver support by downloading and burning an ISO of a distribution (say, Ubuntu or this Mint thing) and booting off it without installing anything. If stuff works there, it'll work when it's installed.

Sheepeh -- what's this Mint stuff? What does it do on top of Ubuntu? Also, good god, I ran Debian sid for four years; if you need Ubuntu to get any easier you're a nuclear powered wuss ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 21:11 

I tried Ubuntu last weekend. It couldn't use my 2nd monitor at all and didn't understand the digital out on my soundcard.

17 years and Linux still can't run a basic system properly.

(I eventually got the 2nd monitor running with binary only nvidia drivers but it still could only stretch the image across both. To use them separately required a restart, after the restart it went back to 1 monitor only every time).

In conclusion, if you have only 1 monitor and are happy with analogue sound, Ubuntu'll work.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 21:16 
Sitting balls-back folder

Wireless is still an issue, although less so. Best* thing you can do is go through the Windows Device Manager finding the PCI vendor and device IDs, then sticking those into the Linux PCI ID repository to see what support is available.

* most boring and tedious. If you're lucky there's a way to get a nice simple list, I've never looked.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 21:18 

Dudley wrote:
In conclusion, if you have only 1 monitor and are happy with analogue sound, Ubuntu'll work.
Both those things work for me -- in fact, I was running a two headed Linux workstation in 1998. So your sweeping statement is rather too sweeping. I'll accept you had problems, but it's not fair to say it doesn't work at all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 21:22 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Mint is simply based on Ubuntu, but they filter the updates to stop things breaking, keep it stable, and automatically do things like installing the codecs, easier menus, nicer artwork, things like that. It's basically Ubuntu how it's MEANT to be.

Also, I managed to run a 2 x monitor over DVI by "plug in two monitors, enable nvidia driver when it asks, restart". And you don't even need to restart if you don't want to.

http://www.linuxmint.com/ <-- check it out. It'll boot to a LiveCD so you can check everything all works, and then you can click Install on the Live Desktop and choose where you want it. When you reboot it'll all be sorted.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 21:25 
:insincere:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 21:27 

Sheepeh wrote:
Mint is simply based on Ubuntu, but they filter the updates to stop things breaking, keep it stable, and automatically do things like installing the codecs, easier menus, nicer artwork, things like that. It's basically Ubuntu how it's MEANT to be.
Maybe I'll take a look, but I have to say, none of these things have been pain points for me under Ubuntu. Once you've unsnarled a major grade apt-get fuckup in Debian sid, you get pretty used to sorting out Ubuntu-style minor issues.

I need to rebuild my Linux system this week, I snagged the 8.10 RC earlier. I seem to have lost my CD-Rs though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 21:30 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Dudley wrote:
Both those things work for me -- in fact, I was running a two headed Linux workstation in 1998. So your sweeping statement is rather too sweeping. I'll accept you had problems, but it's not fair to say it doesn't work at all.

Good for you. But Ubuntu claims "Linux for humans". If it doesn't work on ANY perfectly sensibly built system with only popular mainstream components in (It's a perfectly standard nforce motherboard and Geforce 7600GS) and an hours effort from a guy with a CS degree and multi year programming experience can't make it work properly then it's simply not ready. Still.

If I was running some weird 3rd part graphics card and a fancy music makers soundcard it's a debate, but trying to use the digital out on possibly the single most popular chipset in existence? No. I dare say you linux gods could make it work, but that's no use at all if they want to stop normal people using Windows.

Quote:
Also, I managed to run a 2 x monitor over DVI by "plug in two monitors, enable nvidia driver when it asks, restart". And you don't even need to restart if you don't want to.

Fwiw, neither monitor is DVI, it's the sound that was digital.

And you DO need to reset to do 2 seperate desktops rather than "Maximise uses both monitors".

Well, technically you have to restart x but it provided no easy means to do so, so I had to restart the PC.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 21:32 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Sheepeh wrote:
Maybe I'll take a look, but I have to say, none of these things have been pain points for me under Ubuntu. Once you've unsnarled a major grade apt-get fuckup in Debian sid, you get pretty used to sorting out Ubuntu-style minor issues.

I need to rebuild my Linux system this week, I snagged the 8.10 RC earlier. I seem to have lost my CD-Rs though.

If Ubuntu works for you, there's no massive reason to upgrade. It uses the Ubuntu repos. It's just a preferable system for me, to be honest. The Intrepid based version will be out in a few months (they let a new version get stable before they work on it).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 21:35 

I'll give the mint live CD a shot and see if it spots either of my issues. For MaliA it doesn't sound like either will be an issue. I don't have wireless but it needed no prompting to pick up the wired network.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 21:37 

I won't lie; Linux can take some work, and if you're familiar with Windows it's a real shock to the system because everything is very different. But the last few times I've put Ubuntu on various systems I've found it streets ahead of Windows in terms of hardware detection. I would suggest it's worth persisting with.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 21:39 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Dudley wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Dudley wrote:

Good for you. But Ubuntu claims "Linux for humans". If it doesn't work on ANY perfectly sensibly built system with only popular mainstream components in (It's a perfectly standard nforce motherboard and Geforce 7600GS) and an hours effort from a guy with a CS degree and multi year programming experience can't make it work properly then it's simply not ready. Still.

If I was running some weird 3rd part graphics card and a fancy music makers soundcard it's a debate, but trying to use the digital out on possibly the single most popular chipset in existence? No. I dare say you linux gods could make it work, but that's no use at all if they want to stop normal people using Windows.

It worked simply by clicking it on nvidia control panel for me. And the Nvidia drivers do provide multi desktop, aspect ratio settings, scaling settings, it's THE SAME as the Windows one.

And to restart X, log out. Or push ctrl-alt-backspace.

Quote:

Fwiw, neither monitor is DVI, it's the sound that was digital.

And you DO need to reset to do 2 seperate desktops rather than "Maximise uses both monitors".

Well, technically you have to restart x but it provided no easy means to do so, so I had to restart the PC.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 21:52 
Gogmagog

Sheepeh wrote:
Linux Mint is the best for you, I'd say. It'll set all the crap up by itself, including all your drivers, codecs, OpenOffice...everything. Install, load, done. No fiddling required.

It's based on Ubuntu, and it's solid.

What games are you trying to run? Anything newish isn't gonna work properly. I run WoW, Lordy Lordy Online, CS:Source, Sam and Max, and EvE all fine, though.

OK, cool, gameswise, it's old stuff like Dawn of War, Defcon, Railroad Tycoon 3 and Medieval total war (II being the most recent).

hardware side, I do have some installation cds, but it's only really the gfx card to run the one shonky monitor, the new printer, the wireless card and the pci usb card.

It's going to be a big step for me to do this, but i'd rather things work to get my work done and not have the rubish windows thing be a pain and I might learn something down the way.

The failsafe is the laptop downstairs, so all is well in that respect.

Also, where's a good deal for XBox live?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 21:55 
I forgot about this - how vain

My pointless annecodote is that I've had significantly more trouble installing XP than I've ever had with Linux. And much less trouble with drivers.

I wouldn't say Linux is ready for the mainstream mearly because I don't think any operating system that doesn't come preinstalled on the machine is ready for the mainstream frankly.

I'm quite hopeful about netbooks runing linux though, I would happily give one of them to my mum. If she could see the screen...

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 22:01 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Put away those CDs, you won't need them.

You can't use Windows drivers. Except for some wireless cards, but you want to avoid doing that if possible. It'll get all the drivers you need off it's own CD. When plop the Linux CD in your drive it'll boot off it, and quite literally boot to a working desktop. If it all works fine, then click Install and you're away. You can even keep browsing the net and things while it installs. If it doesn't, then where you go from there depends on what isn't working.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 22:02 
Gogmagog

I just got 13 months of XBox live from the link from ehre for 28 notes. Woo and hoo.

Either way, if it works, cool, if not, I'm sure I can shanghai someone in to make it work to my level, I'm not looking for top performance, just something that works, if you see what I mean.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 22:03 
Gogmagog

Sheepeh wrote:
Put away those CDs, you won't need them.

You can't use Windows drivers. Except for some wireless cards, but you want to avoid doing that if possible. It'll get all the drivers you need off it's own CD. When plop the Linux CD in your drive it'll boot off it, and quite literally boot to a working desktop. If it all works fine, then click Install and you're away. You can even keep browsing the net and things while it installs. If it doesn't, then where you go from there depends on what isn't working.

Thanks man, I know I'm shit with technical stuffs, but will have a go at this tomorrow. Where do I find this iso linky thing?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 22:04 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Lave wrote:
I wouldn't say Linux is ready for the mainstream mearly because I don't think any operating system that doesn't run games without third party virtualization software is ready for the mainstream frankly..

FFFXx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 22:05 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

If you get any issues or need to ask questions, I believe we have a few people who will be able to answer questions. Just sometimes, you might not know what question to ask, because Linux is such a different beast to Windows.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 22:06 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Pod wrote:
Lave wrote:
I wouldn't say Linux is ready for the mainstream mearly because I don't think any operating system that doesn't run games without third party virtualization software is ready for the mainstream frankly..

FFFXx

Except it does. WINE is a win32 API, not a virtual machine. And games like Doom, Quake, Defcon, Darwinia, Uplink, et al have native versions.

Of course, the virtual machine CAN run XP, Vista, and anything else you want it to, but it WON'T run games. There's no 3d drivers in it, see.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 22:24 
Gogmagog

Heh, funny story, I don't appear to have a cd burner...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 22:27 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... t-5-r1.iso

That's a direct download to Mint.

And as for having a CD burner, you can purchase CDs for a nominal fee, or I expect one of us can post you a CD if you need one.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 22:29 
Gogmagog

My beautiful assistant just reminded me that we have 2 laptops that can do that sort of thing. Thanks for the link, though. I suspect tomorrow is going to be a day filled full of highs and lows. And CoD4 face shooting excellence. And an essay on EU law.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 23:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Last time I put Ubuntu on a laptop the wireless stuff was a fucking bitch.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 23:42 

Grim... wrote:

:this: , but it was a few years ago. Do you still have to use ndiswrapper?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 23:44 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Joans wrote:
Grim... wrote:

:this: , but it was a few years ago. Do you still have to use ndiswrapper?

For certain cards. Depends what you're using.

It's come on in leaps and bounds, but I personally scrapped the wireless card, bought an access point to provide a wired bridge to the PC, 360, PS2, and Xbox 1 without any hassles. It works with the Nforce 4 ethernet port perfectly.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 23:45 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Don't get me wrong, it's ace as a server, and it'll do, I guess, for desktop stuff, assuming you don't have much to do. But for wireless it was a no go.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 23:50 

I bought an ibook rather than getting Linux working on a Laptop.

I would always go with a Linux desktop though. And those little EEE PCs are v.tempting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 23:59 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Lave wrote:
I bought an ibook rather than getting Linux working on a Laptop.

I would always go with a Linux desktop though. And those little EEE PCs are v.tempting.

that kinda does not make sense.... i thought an eee pc was a laptop.

one of the guys at work has dumped windows altogether for laptops, desktops and servers.... he said he has never looked back

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 0:06 

I bought a ibook to use unix rather than struggle with finding a laptop that nicely plays with Linux. But those EEE PC notebooks ship with linux, so clearly work 100% which is enough to tempt me back to the linux side...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 0:10 

I think you'll find that, as a closed platform with little hardware variation, the iBook runs Linux very nicely!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 0:26 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I think you'll find that, as a closed platform with little hardware variation, the iBook runs Linux very nicely!

Indeed the irony wasn't lost on me when I popped a Yellow Dog Live CD in and it worked awesomely. I may switch it over when Apple drops PPC support (if it's still ticking over). Indeed buying a mac is a good choice if you want a linux laptop. If you can stomach the apple tax.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:14 
Gogmagog

Sheepeh wrote:
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/5/LinuxMint-5-r1.iso

That's a direct download to Mint.

And as for having a CD burner, you can purchase CDs for a nominal fee, or I expect one of us can post you a CD if you need one.

I downloaded that, firefox said it was 690 meg, but the file on the desktop is only 24 meg...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:25 

I had that problem too, I redownloaded it and it is 600+ meg

I installed it yesterday on another machine, and it looks sweet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:27 
Gogmagog

Kovacs Caprios wrote:

I'm downloading it to this one now, problem is probably with MrsA's old laptop.

EDIT: Hmm, it crapepd out at 69 meg on this one. Tim,e to use a download manager i think.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:09 

MaliA wrote:
Kovacs Caprios wrote:

I'm downloading it to this one now, problem is probably with MrsA's old laptop.

EDIT: Hmm, it crapepd out at 69 meg on this one. Tim,e to use a download manager i think.

If you can't get it to download. I can post you a cd!

I do like mint over unbunto (spelling) it is not brown!! I will play tonight and do some updates..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 13:43 
Gogmagog

ARGH! YOU STUPID, STUPID BOY MALIA!

As it was only downloading a little bit on the laptop, I tried it on this one. And it only downloaded a little bit.

So I got a download manager, and downloaded it, and it worked 100%. Onto the desktop without a cd burner.... And I can't find my memory sticks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 13:45 

MaliA wrote:

As it was only downloading a little bit on the laptop, I tried it on this one. And it only downloaded a little bit.

So I got a download manager, and downloaded it, and it worked 100%. Onto the desktop without a cd burner.... And I can't find my memory sticks.

What are you!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 13:46 
Gogmagog

Kovacs Caprios wrote:
MaliA wrote:

What are you!!

Pike ,sir, corporal Pike.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 14:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

No network?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 14:10 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
No network?

Good plan. If I put it on the "shared docs" on Charlotte, then laptop might be able to grab it?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 14:15 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Surely should.
Have fun getting Samba to work once you're running Ubuntu :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 15:32 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Mint comes with Samba already set up and configured chap. It can browse network shares from the live CD, even.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 15:35 
UltraMod

Grim...'s been LINUXPWND.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 15:39 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Ah. I've got plain old Gutsy, and somehow failed to notice Mali wasn't getting plain Ubuntu.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 15:44 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Oh, and it comes with Flash and all the crap all set up too.

Even the 64bit version works with everything perfectly fine.

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next