Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: "Chavs" to be a seperate species in 100,000 years time?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:07 
Skillmeister

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6057734.stm

Quote:
Humanity may split into two sub-species in 100,000 years' time as predicted by HG Wells, an expert has said.

Evolutionary theorist Oliver Curry of the London School of Economics expects a genetic upper class and a dim-witted underclass to emerge.

The human race would peak in the year 3000, he said - before a decline due to dependence on technology.

People would become choosier about their sexual partners, causing humanity to divide into sub-species, he added.

The descendants of the genetic upper class would be tall, slim, healthy, attractive, intelligent, and creative and a far cry from the "underclass" humans who would have evolved into dim-witted, ugly, squat goblin-like creatures.

Isn't this already happening? I swear that last sentence describes Jade Goody.

Post subject: Re: "Chavs" to be a seperate species in 100,000 years time?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:47 
Son of a Reaperman

We had this debate on YakYak a year or so back and everyone concluded that I was a nazi because I was pondering on how much fun it would be to have underling servants to use a footrests/ target practice etc.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:58 
Gogmagog

Fuck me,

Maddie had less than a year to live when that was written.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:33 
Paws for thought

Given geographical and cultural divides have failed to do so, I very much doubt that class will do so more effectively.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 13:26 
Chinny chin chin

Quote:
Humanity may split into two sub-species in 100,000 years' time as predicted by HG Wells, an expert has said.

The descendants of the genetic upper class would be tall, slim, healthy, attractive, intelligent, and creative and a far cry from the "underclass" humans who would have evolved into dim-witted, ugly, squat goblin-like creatures.

So just to get this straight, are we the ones that will become dim-witted, ugly, squat goblin-like creatures, or the other place? :attitude:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 16:16 
Sitting balls-back folder

He's not going to curry favour with an opinion like that. Especially as he seems to be basing his timelines on Futurama.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 16:18 
Skillmeister

Doesn't everybody? I know I do.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 16:47 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Mmmmm Curry.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 17:17 
baron of techno

Saint Bikolas wrote:
He's not going to curry favour with an opinion like that.

Yes, he's not an opinion korma at all.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 18:16 
:insincere:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 19:23 
Honey Boo Boo

Still, it could be Brave New World... where everyone is on drugs, bred for a specific role in society, and lost their virginity before they were 10.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 20:27 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

The things that pass for news these days... :/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 20:44 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Haha, what a dickhead. Humans will still be around in 3000. Yeah, right!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 21:21 
Legendary Boogeyman

MaliA wrote:
Fuck me,

:DD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 21:41 
I forgot about this - how vain

Reappears (briefly got internet connection - won't have it properly for another week).

I could make a very long post about how this article is the classic example of dick wad academics whoring themselves to advertising companies to get brands in the paper but I don't have time.*

In this case this was an advert for Dave (the TV channel) I think. And written by a historian. It's complete bull.

Generally, it works like this.

1) They email/ring round academics asking for help making a 'humorous' piece about science.
2) A douchebag replies saying yeah ok.
3) They tell him what they want to show
4) He either a) makes us a formula or b) a survey is bullshitting created.
5) He gets a bit on money.
6) The publics understanding of science dies a little.

Ben Goldacres talked about this at length, there is a whole advertising industry based around using SCIENCE TM to get them in a paper. A classic example is the Jessica Alba has the best wiggle news story (which got everywhere, as though it was proper science, at everytime mention the company that sponsered it), where Ben G pretended to be interested, and they told him they wanted him to make a formula about a ladies wiggle and that they hadn't done the survey yet but they already new what they wanted to show.

My Supervisor was asked by Lynx to make new 'rude' constellations. She told them to get to fuck.

* Ah, looks like I did anyway. And I don't have time to re-read that, so I'll leave it as is.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 23:44 
Skillmeister

So... Lave. When do you get to work on the death star?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:35 
INFINITE POWAH

Dimrill wrote:

Quote:

Evolutionary theorist Oliver Curry of the London School of Economics expects a genetic upper class and a dim-witted underclass to emerge.

The human race would peak in the year 3000, he said - before a decline due to dependence on technology.

People would become choosier about their sexual partners, causing humanity to divide into sub-species, he added.

I thought this had *always* been the case. Reason being, rich people, whether ugly or not, are able to attract pretty mates due to the power of TEH MONIES. They then breed with their attractive mates and their children will be more attractive than if two uggos had bred. Poor attractive people who marry into rich will not go back to fucking ugly people, nor will their offspring, so those attractive people are then permanently in the "rich" gene pool. Rich people will have the pick of all attractive people, whether rich or poor, and so ultimately the "rich" gene pool becomes more and more full of attractive genes, so after a while you get a lot of attractive, if slightly inbred, rich sorts. Eventually the "rich" gene pool will be full of enough attractiveness that they'll never need to pick up attractive mates from outside their rarified cricles.

And everyone knows that the more attractive you are, the more clever you are. Have you ever seen an ugly lady scientist in a Bond film, eh? EH?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:14 
Gogmagog

Mr Chris wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

Quote:

I thought this had *always* been the case. Reason being, rich people, whether ugly or not, are able to attract pretty mates due to the power of TEH MONIES. They then breed with their attractive mates and their children will be more attractive than if two uggos had bred. Poor attractive people who marry into rich will not go back to fucking ugly people, nor will their offspring, so those attractive people are then permanently in the "rich" gene pool. Rich people will have the pick of all attractive people, whether rich or poor, and so ultimately the "rich" gene pool becomes more and more full of attractive genes, so after a while you get a lot of attractive, if slightly inbred, rich sorts. Eventually the "rich" gene pool will be full of enough attractiveness that they'll never need to pick up attractive mates from outside their rarified cricles.

And everyone knows that the more attractive you are, the more clever you are. Have you ever seen an ugly lady scientist in a Bond film, eh? EH?

It's the reason why the government wish to prevent binge drinking as it ends up with people fucking mingers and getting them up the duff.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:22 
INFINITE POWAH

What annoys me on the reporting about "binge" drinking is that they'll always accompany their discussion of "binge" drinking with shots of falling-down-drunk people, when "binge" drinking is defined as drinking more than 6 units in an evening. That's right, if you go to the pub for four hours and drink 3 pints of ale, you're a filthy binge drinker who will cause havoc on the high street on the way home and bring about the end of civilisation as we know it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:24 
making out to faces of death

If they keep saying it, it will take hold and they achieve their goal.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:26 
INFINITE POWAH

If I call them all self-serving, brainless cunts enough will that make people believe it?

Oh. No need.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:27 
UltraMod

Mr Chris wrote:
when "binge" drinking is defined as drinking more than 6 units in an evening.

Not anymore it's not. Apparently, because everyone's reaction to alcohol is different, binge drinking is now 'drinking to get drunk'.

So Mimi's a binge drinker whenever she even so looks at a banana beer.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:29 
INFINITE POWAH

myp wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
when "binge" drinking is defined as drinking more than 6 units in an evening.

Not anymore it's not. Apparently, because everyone's reaction to alcohol is different, binge drinking is now 'drinking to get drunk'.

So Mimi's a binge drinker whenever she even so looks at a banana beer.

Oh, heavens - when did the government change that, then? They were maintaining the 6 units line at least up until a week or two ago.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:31 

Mr Chris wrote:
If I call them all self-serving, brainless cunts enough will that make people believe it?

Oh. No need.

You will see it all the time. They will take edge cases like passed out woman on street bench, and say "this is binge drinking" which everyone nods and says, "yeah that looks pretty bingey" and they set the definition as three pints a night. Eventually everyone is booing binge drinkers, and asserting that drinking how normal, non-bingy, non-fighty, non-drunk people drink, is binge drinking and just as bad.

You can see the exact same methods used in the defining of extreme speeding as a motoring offence. You will see examples of people causing mayhem and horror at 50mph in a 30mph school village, and the same term will be used to prosecute someone doing 85mph on an empty 70mph three lane motorway.

Booo extreme speeder! Booo binge drinker! Double plus ungood!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:32 
UltraMod

I'm not sure, but I've found a funny webpage trying to find out.

Brilliant comment:
Rosie wrote:
I used to drink alot, even at my age. now i drink alot less but havn't stopped compleatly, even though i want to, i always give in to peer pressure. my advice is to never start drinking in the first place, it is a slippery slope as i found! my first time, i ended up getting paraletic and doing something which i really regret, but even that didn't stop me. Now, i have realised it is not clever or big to drink, you just end up embarressing yourself and acting stupid. only drink around people you know and trust as alcohol makes you vulnerable, or better not at all!good luck and just remember it is sad to need alcohol to have fun! xxx

Age? 14.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:33 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Mr Chris wrote:
What annoys me on the reporting about "binge" drinking is that they'll always accompany their discussion of "binge" drinking with shots of falling-down-drunk people, when "binge" drinking is defined as drinking more than 6 units in an evening. That's right, if you go to the pub for four hours and drink 3 pints of ale, you're a filthy binge drinker who will cause havoc on the high street on the way home and bring about the end of civilisation as we know it.

Quite you! Clearly soceity is being torn apart by couples having a G&T each and then sharing a bottle of wine over dinner, or by those groups of old men who meet at the pub on Sunday afternoons and have a few drinks and play dominoes. God only knows what will happen if the current trend of a couple of blokes sharing a six-pack while watching the football on TV continues, but I imagine it will involve looting, pillage and possibly rivers of blood.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:36 
Gogmagog

ComicalGerald wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Fuck me,

:DD

It's my new way of chronologically ordering the world's events.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:37 
UltraMod

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... nking.html

Telegraph wrote:
Binge drinking is drinking to get drunk. The amount of alcohol needed will vary enormously from person to person and from occasion to occasion. But typically, drinking more than eight units for a man, or six units for a woman, in one session is regarded as binge drinking.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:41 
Gogmagog

myp wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1495942/The-definition-of-binge-drinking.html

Telegraph wrote:
Binge drinking is drinking to get drunk. The amount of alcohol needed will vary enormously from person to person and from occasion to occasion. But typically, drinking more than eight units for a man, or six units for a woman, in one session is regarded as binge drinking.

Cracking, when I watch the football on a Sunday afternoon (in pub for 2 hours) I munch through a massive 9 units of booze. Acebest.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:45 
UltraMod

I could do with a beer.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:46 
INFINITE POWAH

myp wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1495942/The-definition-of-binge-drinking.html

Telegraph wrote:

Is that the Torygraph's definition or the guvmint's? As the guvmint (from Patsy Hewitt's day, and this was down to her) laid it down as a blanket "x units per evening", and was 6 units for men, I thought.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:48 

OK. Though there seems to be an almost deliberate lack of definition in some cases- nhs.uk has articles on "binge drinking" that then go on to talk about drinking over the daily recommended units http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/alcohol/Pages/Socialdrinking.aspx
But I did manage to find the FAQ, and it supports the drinking to drunkenness definition : #bingeDrinking" class="postlink">http://www.units.nhs.uk/faq.html#bingeDrinking
Of coure, binge drinking shouldn't be an issue at all in public pubs and bars- It's an offence to be drunk on licenced premises. (insert roll-eyes smiley here)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:54 
INFINITE POWAH

I just remember swearing loudly at a news article in which Hewitt was saying it was 6 units.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:56 
Gogmagog

Mr Chris wrote:
I just remember swearing loudly at a news article in which Hewitt was saying it was 6 units.

...and then crying, hugging it and calling it 'the best news article i've ever had'?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:03 

Mr Chris wrote:

Well yes, it's the kind of thing someone like her would do, conflating excessive alcohol consumption (for healthy living, based on drinking every/most days) with binge drinking (defined as something else.)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 13:17 
Gogmagog

"Drunk in charge of a child".

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 13:47 
Peculiar, yet lovely

MaliA wrote:

Heavens. Good thing Ireland isn't part of the UK anymore, eh?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 15:50 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:

That's Mansfield for you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 20:55 

AceAceBaby wrote:
Of coure, binge drinking shouldn't be an issue at all in public pubs and bars- It's an offence to be drunk on licenced premises. (insert roll-eyes smiley here)
It's an offence to be drunk in public (therefore including a pub). It's a breach of the license and law to serve alcohol to someone you suspect to be drunk. Naturally, the definition of drunk for this purpose isn't far off the drink-driving limit, so remembering serving them at least one pint beforehand pretty much means they're supposed to refuse.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 21:00 
Honey Boo Boo

Does that also mean that if you serve them a particularly strong drink that you could then wait until they've finished it and then have them arrested as you know it's put them over the limit?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 22:13 

BikNorton wrote:
Naturally, the definition of drunk for this purpose isn't far off the drink-driving limit, so remembering serving them at least one pint beforehand pretty much means they're supposed to refuse.

I think you can be over the drink-driving limit a lot, lot sooner than you're drunk.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 22:23 
Legendary Boogeyman

Chavs are a seperate species already. I reject any accusation of being elitest or a class snob, but chavs are not normal people that just happen to dress differently. They're social vermin that you can identify merely by looking at them, with a level of intelligence approaching an onion. I'm not being too general here either, this doesn't apply to just anybody, but there's a particular sub-group of people that really just to be set on fire to avoid further depletion of resource.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 23:43 
and!

I'm not sure it is a class thing. It's a new social phenomenon, or at least something that has developed over time and only really been apparent for about 5-10 years. It's a product of actual real dumbing down. If you tell people to be stupid enough then a group of people will actually live their lives like that.

Comedy podcast, films and that - http://www.wenton.co.uk - Now with Hammer horror special

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 23:51 
Gogmagog

ltia wrote:
I'm not sure it is a class thing. It's a new social phenomenon, or at least something that has developed over time and only really been apparent for about 5-10 years. It's a product of actual real dumbing down. If you tell people to be stupid enough then a group of people will actually live their lives like that.

5) Disagree strongly.

I think it's always been going on, the media just stuck a newer label on something old. Previously, we just called them 'northerners'.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 0:04 

AceAceBaby wrote:
BikNorton wrote:
Naturally, the definition of drunk for this purpose isn't far off the drink-driving limit, so remembering serving them at least one pint beforehand pretty much means they're supposed to refuse.

I think you can be over the drink-driving limit a lot, lot sooner than you're drunk.

You've not understood the point I was trying to make and are talking about the actual physiological state of drunkenness, not stupid-legal-definition-"drunk". It's not the driving limit, but it's not what most people would consider to be sensible either.

Edit: Not that the police will ever enforce it and arrest you for being a bit wobbly as you bimble to the kebab shop on your way home.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 0:12 
Gogmagog

BikNorton wrote:
AceAceBaby wrote:
BikNorton wrote:

You've not understood the point I was trying to make and are talking about the actual physiological state of drunkenness, not stupid-legal-definition-"drunk". It's not the driving limit, but it's not what most people would consider to be sensible either.

It's a strict liability offence, so it doesn't matter. If it were me, I'd set it to zero.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 0:27 

Mr Chris wrote:

BUT THERE WERE THREE DIFFERENT FLAVOURS OF CRISPS!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 0:51 

MaliA wrote:
BikNorton wrote:
AceAceBaby wrote:
BikNorton wrote:

It's a strict liability offence, so it doesn't matter. If it were me, I'd set it to zero.

I'm not talking about drink-driving. Or are you actually promoting the arrest of anyone in possession of a non-zero blood-alcohol level in public? :o

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:56 

BikNorton wrote:
AceAceBaby wrote:
BikNorton wrote:

Edit: Not that the police will ever enforce it and arrest you for being a bit wobbly as you bimble to the kebab shop on your way home.

I think if you're a bit wobbly you're already drunk. The drink driving limit kicks in when you're (or I, I guess, YMMV) are still completely sober. I don't know what point you were trying to make, so I guess you failed to make it. :p

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:24 
Gogmagog

BikNorton wrote:
MaliA wrote:
BikNorton wrote:
AceAceBaby wrote:
BikNorton wrote:

I'm not talking about drink-driving. Or are you actually promoting the arrest of anyone in possession of a non-zero blood-alcohol level in public? :o

I was misreading it.

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next