Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2976 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 29-The Copper Edition
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:03 
Meh

Anyone know which Twitter user has revealed more super injunctions? I can't find it for the life of me.

Twitter me if not appropriate here. @GrooveVandal...cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:15 

Well done Sinister! I'm sure it's the right decision.

Post subject: Bits and Bobs 29-The Copper Edition
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:25 
baron of techno

Well done Sinister. Make sure you let em know why (oh, you plan to, ok..) :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:31 
Peculiar, yet lovely

kalmar wrote:
Well done Sinister. Make sure you let em know why (oh, you plan to, ok..) :)

I've got it all prepared. I'm staying on the right side of ranting/being a dick, but I'm making it abundantly clear that if they even try to complain, I have a mountain of trouble for their stone.

I'm not sure how long to leave it before emailing the non-cunts just to say thanks for not being cunts. There are a LOT of people that my leaving is going to affect, and they need to know that I've really been left with no choice.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:45 
Best
Board Mother

sinister agent wrote:
I'm not sure how long to leave it before emailing the non-cunts just to say thanks for not being cunts. There are a LOT of people that my leaving is going to affect, and they need to know that I've really been left with no choice.

Good luck Sinister. I'd let them know as soon as you like, providing its not before you've done it officially and don't leave it too long unless you can contact them from off the premises.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:49 
Awesome
Yes

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
sinister agent wrote:

Good luck Sinister. I'd let them know as soon as you like, providing its not before you've done it officially and don't leave it too long unless you can contact them from off the premises.

Good work son.

And if you want to tell the non cunty people then do it by phone on the afternoon that you've handed your notice in.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:56 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Mr Russell wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
sinister agent wrote:

Good work son.

And if you want to tell the non cunty people then do it by phone on the afternoon that you've handed your notice in.

That would be well over 30 phone calls. Email's the way to go here - I won't go into any detail; I'll just say thanks for your support and apologies for any etc. Most of them will know the score, and a few of them already know what's been going on, so the rest will work it out anyway.

Cheers though! I'll give my contact details to a few key people - that way if anyone wants to know more, they can ask. Not expecting much, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:30 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Quote:
Dear [boss of boss]

Please accept this as my resignation, effective immediately.

For the better part of the last year, I have been extremely dissatisfied with the treatment I have received from management, and this situation has only worsened with my every attempt to address it. My workload and poor managerial decisions exacerbating the same have caused me considerable stress and many, many unnecessary problems both for the university and for an untold number of students.

I have mentioned these problems many times, and to date have received little but dismissiveness and unfair, unbalanced criticism of my work, much of which betrayed a complete failure to understand what my job actually involves.

I can recall precisely one instance of encouragement and appreciation from my line manager since the start of my employment (a stark contrast to the support and overwhelmingly positive feedback I've received from both other advisors and records officers, and from staff in other departments), which is particularly galling given how many times I have personally taken the flak for mistakes not of my making as an act of professional solidarity.

In recent weeks it has become abundantly clear that I am being made a scapegoat for departmental failings, despite having spent the year going out of my way to prevent them, and having repeatedly offered very simple solutions, which have been shot down without reasonable justifiation every time. As such, while I regret the inconvenience it will cause my colleagues, I feel the breakdown in trust has become irreparable, and circumstances have left me no choice.

Yours sincerely,

[Efficient Drone]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:32 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Good Luck SA, sounds like the only option as it was making you very stressed and ill..

Soon you will look back and laugh at the crap idiot boss put you through.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:33 
Hibernating Druid

Hope it goes well, Mr Agent. Best of luck finding something else too. I'm sure if you explained to your friend that working for her would be a temporary arrangement from the start she'd understand.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:34 
Hibernating Druid

Wow, that letter is superbly written.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:37 
baron of techno

Zardoz wrote:

Agreed, very honourably handled by the sounds of it. Good luck, you'll be fine though!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:39 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Zardoz wrote:

Well written, but unless I was hoping for a counter offer with guaranteed improvement in working conditions and discipline procedures for management, that I was likely to take, I personally wouldnt send it.

Someone else reading it in the future (say, new HR manager on receipt of a reference request) may consider it bitching, and there is no prospect of someone validating your view. This would not be beneficial.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:41 
Awesome
Yes

Impressively done.

I hope they don't try and screw you out of anything by you not giving the right amount of notice, but as you've got mega stress and lack of trust written in there, you should be golden.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:43 
Master of dodgy spelling....

If they start to be awkward, get a note from the docs for stress..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:43 
Peculiar, yet lovely

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

Well written, but unless I was hoping for a counter offer with guaranteed improvement in working conditions and discipline procedures for management, that I was likely to take, I personally wouldnt send it.

Someone else reading it in the future (say, new HR manager on receipt of a reference request) may consider it bitching, and there is no prospect of someone validating your view. This would not be beneficial.

I did wonder. The trouble is that while I want to be professional and not just moan, I also want to make my reasons clear, not least as I could otherwise be pursued for breach of contract. What would you suggest?

re: screwing out of stuff. I don't expect to be paid, as I got paid for last month and am resigning on the 1st. If they do overpay me, I've no reason not to tell them, so I'm not worried about that.

Also I'm putting one of my contacts in another department as my reference, anyway. The one thing my CV isn't short of is good references.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:55 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

sinister agent wrote:
I did wonder. The trouble is that while I want to be professional and not just moan, I also want to make my reasons clear, not least as I could otherwise be pursued for breach of contract. What would you suggest?

re: screwing out of stuff. I don't expect to be paid, as I got paid for last month and am resigning on the 1st. If they do overpay me, I've no reason not to tell them, so I'm not worried about that.

I was just thinking I should be slightly more productive.

Write the letter fairly simply, saying that not a decision that you have taken lightly. State in the letter that You would be happy to discuss these reasons in a formal exit interview on a one to one basis.

Then speak to boss in person and say that you would like the initial exit interview to be you, him and HR (if they normally sit in). It may be that your exit interview policy is just HR, in which case insist on his (boss) presence.

State that you are not planning to take union action personally but that in the circumstances, you feel it would be beneficial for your employer to have these concerns formally raised, but that you also acknowledge that they may not be acted upon if your own perceptions are incorrect. This lays the land for a non confrontational cozy chat. You can even make that better, by doing it off premises in Starbucks or similar

As part of that chat, also acknowledge that raising issues and running does nothing to help them as employers, so would e happy to discuss again with union rep and shit boss present if he thinks this would be beneficial.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:56 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Stupid Double post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:59 
Hibernating Druid

Probably worth saying twice anyway, very well put.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:03 
Gogmagog

Good luck, SA.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:05 

sinister agent wrote:
I could talk to my friend who has been asking for me to come and work for her since last August, but I'd only be doing it to keep myself afloat until I find a job outside london, and it's really not fair to do that to people, especially a friend. Guh.
Level with your friend and say you need a stopgap but not a long-term position, and is that any use to her? She might say yes and you could work there clear of conscience (and you never know, you might end up staying anyway; people change their minds once they're in jobs). Or she says no, thanks you for your honesty, and you've lost nothing because you weren't going to take it anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:12 

Hey Sinister,

Just wanted to chime in with general wishes of support, I know you've had a horrid time there over the past months and sincerely hope you move on to a better, more supportive job not hampered by idiots.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:25 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Oh great, now I don't know what to say.

I absolutely see the wisdom in your post, APOD, but frankly I don't think it would do any good. The boss in question is barely any better than the idiot (they both came up with the brilliant reason for refusing to let me train people to help with my ridiculous workload - "you have to do all your workload first". RGrgnhh), and I don't really fancy sitting in yet another meeting where I'm insulted and lied to for half an hour.

The HR person who deals with our department is the same one who, when I first started, kept making threatening phone calls saying I would be fired if I didn't give them my passport. After I'd told them repeatedly that I was waiting for that passport to exist, and that it hadn't yet arrived, so what, precisely, do you think patronising me will achieve?

In the end, idiot boss's predecessor went over to HR and told them to stop being fucking idiots, and even get me an advance on my salary by way of apology. I wish I'd known she was leaving before I started the job.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:29 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

In that case then, I would suggest vanilla letter is even more important. Anything else won't help your colleagues by improving the situation, but may not look good on your file.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:34 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Hm.

I need to put my reasons in there, or I'll get into shit. I'm not going to get a reference from these dickbags either way, and quitting without any reason isn't going to look any better than quitting because I have unresolved complaints about management. Besides, I don't like not doing things out of fear of what people will think in future.

Thank you - I do appreciate your advice, but I think it's a risk I have to take.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:47 
Sleepyhead

Why do you have to give your reasons, out of interest? It's just not something I've ever come across before.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:48 
Awesome
Yes

Curiosity wrote:
Why do you have to give your reasons, out of interest? It's just not something I've ever come across before.

I guess because of the effective immediately bit so that they don't try and fuck him up good for not giving a full notice period and dropping them right in it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:50 
Sleepyhead

Mr Russell wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

I guess because of the effective immediately bit so that they don't try and fuck him up good for not giving a full notice period and dropping them right in it.

Oh, I see.

Well, working notice periods is awesome, so he should do that. You don't have to do anything, can't be reprimanded particularly effectively, and can lark about or do actually useful things rather than what idiot bosses tell you.

It's quite liberating. I love being on notice, and hope to be on it again soon!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:50 
Gogmagog

Curiosity wrote:

You don't. Don't even have to work your notice, although this a tricky area.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:53 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Curiosity wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Oh, I see.

Well, working notice periods is awesome, so he should do that. You don't have to do anything, can't be reprimanded particularly effectively, and can lark about or do actually useful things rather than what idiot bosses tell you.

How did your interview go?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:56 

Good luck SA!

Is there not grounds for constructive dismissal here?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:57 
Gogmagog

Zio wrote:
Good luck SA!

Is there not grounds for constructive dismissal here?

Possibly, but I'd link it into other things, if I were to consider making a claim. I'd also weigh up the relative amount vs how much an action would cost.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:02 
Sleepyhead

Malabelm wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Oh, I see.

No idea. Should find out this afternoon.

If badly, then meh, I am hoping for an interview for an even betterer job later this week.

*crosses fingers*

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:05 
Peculiar, yet lovely

MaliA wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

You don't. Don't even have to work your notice, although this a tricky area.

I should add that according to the revised contract I signed in February (reducing my hours), I'm technically still on a probationary period, which means I can walk away anytime.

Ordinarily, I would indeed work the notice period - or at least a week. But I really do not want to. The thought of going back there makes me feel a little sick, to be blunt.

Re: constructive dismissal. I think there's definitely grounds for it, but it would probably be rejected as I haven't yet exhausted every option in the grievance procedure. I've had countless meetings with enough people to no longer give a shit, though. I'd first have to go through every grievance I have, which would take weeks, and then, when that didn't work, I'd have to do it all again at a tribunal.

All that would cost time and money, and as I've no interest in any payout from them it's not worth the hassle. Getting them to formally admit they've fucked up would be great, but ultimately, spending weeks of my life proving that an obvious moron is a moron would be a pretty hollow victory.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:06 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Curiosity wrote:
Malabelm wrote:

No idea. Should find out this afternoon.

If badly, then meh, I am hoping for an interview for an even betterer job later this week.

*crosses fingers*

Well, good luck with both :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:02 
Peculiar, yet lovely

I've sent a very brief email to my most regular contacts to say goodbye and thank you. Within minutes I've had more supportive emails from them than I've had from my own boss in over a year. I'm really quite touched.

Quote:
I've appreciated your efforts. All the best in your future endeavours

Quote:
I'm very sorry to hear that [sa]. Thanks for all your help and I wish you well for the future,

Take care

Quote:
You will be greatly missed!
I really got on well with you and you were our rock!
[two other people] always relied on your help.

All the best for the future!

This is from one who I almost didn't include on the email because I didn't think even liked me!

Quote:
Here here , I will be sorry to see you go :( I know it is not easy .

Do keep in touch .

Best wishes

Quote:
[other person] and I are really sad to hear that you are going. You have really helped us out since we started this year and we really couldn't have done without you.

We hope the future brings you happiness and success. If there is anything we can do to help, do not hesitate to contact us.

Best wishes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:09 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Oh man.

Quote:
Sorry to hear you are leaving but I couldn’t stand [my department] either! Thanks for all your help and very best wishes for the future.

Quote:
Sorry to learn that you're leaving us! Such a shame, we were just beginning to get to know each other better.

Good luck in whatever you do next. Hope it's a bit more enjoyable than [here].

Take Care

Quote:
Good luck and I wish you every success for whatever you end up doing and wherever you are! Above all, be happy which I know you have not been work wise for a while now.

I am sorry it has come to this and we will all miss you. Like [two others], I have enjoyed working with you and thank you for your support.

Take care

Quote:
I am very disappointed to learn of your resignation. Undoubtedly you had good reason, but this will make a significant difference to [a research institute]'s interaction with [my department]

I had been with [institute] for just a short time when you came on board, and the way you carried out your role within [here] made a tremendous difference to my understanding of the system.

I do hope that you will have the opportunity to move to another role where you talents will be fully utilised, and one which you will enjoy.

Very best wishes

Quote:
Hi

I'm really sorry to hear this - you've been so helpful. I'm sure you have good reasons to leave - I just hope that your last days here will be happy ones.

Take lots of care and good luck for the future.

That's from one who's been away for almost the entire time I was working here, and only been back a few months.

I think I might actually cry :'(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:13 

You have actually resigned now, haven't you SA?

What did they say?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:21 

Can't you parlay some of this good feeling into a role somewhere else -- particularly as you've been in a liaison-type job, you must have contacts?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:53 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Can't you parlay some of this good feeling into a role somewhere else -- particularly as you've been in a liaison-type job, you must have contacts?

Actually, it's not a liaison job really - I've just been making it one in addition to the DI work, as it was the most effective way to do my job. A few hours of intra-departmental training and organisation = fewer fuck-ups = dozens of hours saved in un-fucking things up. You'd think every manager would understand this, but.

One of my people moved just recently, and her post is being advertised. I talked to her about it last week, and depending on how things go I might consider going for that if it looks like it would be possible and help. But that may just be marking time anyway - I want to leave london, so it might be more practical to just directly apply elsewhere.

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
sinister agent wrote:
I could talk to my friend who has been asking for me to come and work for her since last August, but I'd only be doing it to keep myself afloat until I find a job outside london, and it's really not fair to do that to people, especially a friend. Guh.
Level with your friend and say you need a stopgap but not a long-term position, and is that any use to her? She might say yes and you could work there clear of conscience (and you never know, you might end up staying anyway; people change their minds once they're in jobs). Or she says no, thanks you for your honesty, and you've lost nothing because you weren't going to take it anyway.

btw sorry I didn't comment on this earlier - this is an embarassingly excellent point. I will do just that, thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:58 
Gogmagog

So far this morning, I achieved:

moving some cupboards up two floors
Entering the information from 48 business cards into the Outlook contacts.
Erm, that's it.

The woman is back this month so I think I'm out. They are struggling to find me work.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:59 
Hibernating Druid

*cough*
Zardoz wrote:
I'm sure if you explained to your friend that working for her would be a temporary arrangement from the start she'd understand.

:kiss:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 13:13 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Zardoz wrote:
*cough*
Zardoz wrote:
I'm sure if you explained to your friend that working for her would be a temporary arrangement from the start she'd understand.

:kiss:

The doc's one had a better avatar, though.

:p

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 13:14 
Hibernating Druid

*Files grievance*

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 13:29 
Gogmagog

Awaiting the delivery of my tweed jacket with much anticipation. It was posted second class yesterday. Hopefully I'll have it by the weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 13:33 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Mali has a tweed jacket. Hands up those of you who are even slightly surprised.

That includes you, entire population of asia.

Anyone?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 13:43 

Nobody. He posted about it last week.

I requested pictures.

Mali: picture- take.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 13:43 

MaliA wrote:
Awaiting the delivery of my tweed jacket with much anticipation. It was posted second class yesterday. Hopefully I'll have it by the weekend.

You'll need a bow tie. And a fez.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 13:46 

I totally have both of these things.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 14:16 
Rude Belittler

MaliA wrote:

That's it, you'll never be cool again. I hope you've made your peace with your uncoolness. It happens to everyone eventually.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2976 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 60  Next