Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ipod Touch Games
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 20:19 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Hello, chums.

I require some advice. My Daddio decided instead of getting an iPhone and fannying about with it he'd get himself an iPod Touch (Generation 2 apparently). While I hate iTunes with a passion I've learnt how to use it to slap music on there, and shown him how to convert video for it and load it on.

Now, he's ("legally purchased" - Ed) some games designated for use on "Ipod Touch". When I tried to sync them, they seem to copy but iTunes complains it cannot verify them and won't install. Is there a step I'm missing, or are you not supposed to use iTunes to transfer them over?

I'm guessing it's like an iPhone so I'm sure there are people here who have done it many times before.

Also if anyone has any game recommendations they'd be gratefully received (he especially would like showy-offy type things to show to his mates, really).

Ta muchly, chaps.

Post subject: Re: Ipod Touch Games
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 20:34 
Can you dig it?

You need to unlock the iPod before you can install things that aren't from the official source. On the iPhone it's called 'jailbreaking'. I can't say for certain, though, as I haven't jailbroken an iPod touch before - but look into software like quickpwn / pwnage tool - I believe they will work, it'll say clearly in the documentation anyway

Also check out the hackintosh forums, they have a lot of guides

HTH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 20:45 
Excellent Painter

If this is a legit purchase through the app store, then sometimes you may need to do a hard reset on the iTouch before they'll install properly. Had a similar problem with my daughter's iTouch where they looked like they were on the machine but wouldn't boot successfully. One reset later they worked fine.

If it's a jailbroken one, I have no idea what the problem is.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 21:14 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Sir Taxalot wrote:
You need to unlock the iPod before you can install things that aren't from the official source. On the iPhone it's called 'jailbreaking'. I can't say for certain, though, as I haven't jailbroken an iPod touch before - but look into software like quickpwn / pwnage tool - I believe they will work, it'll say clearly in the documentation anyway

Also check out the hackintosh forums, they have a lot of guides

HTH

Ah, QuickPwn supports it and has easily available files. I've done an iPhone before so this shouldn't be too hard. Downloading now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 22:16 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Seems you can't do the 2nd gen Touches yet. Have to wait until it gets sorted out. Thanks though, at least I know what I'm looking to achieve and can add it to my RSS feeds!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:36 
Space detective

As far as I'm aware, while it's possible get hold of paid-for files App Store files "on the sly", there's no way to get them to authenticate on an iPod Touch or iPhone. Quite genuinely, I can't see much point for going to all that trouble anyway, given that most of the worthwhile downloads from the App Store are either free or cost less than £2.99. Especially so considering almost all of the paid-for downloads offer free limited-functionality downloads so that you can see whether you like them or not beforehand.

While Jailbreaking is a viable option for 1st gen Touches/iPhones, the only really really worthwhile applications are MXTube (which allows you to download YouTube videos directly to the flash memory of the Apple device, and is great), dTunes (which is pretty much Songbird, but native to the iPhone/Touch, which is easy enough to just do on your actual computer beforehand), and Winterboard (which customises the appearance of your menu, though it takes ages to find a non-shite theme).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:42 
UltraMod

Yep, I jailbroke my iPhone when I got it, but soon restored it back to factory settings and I wouldn't consider doing it again. The official apps are actually much better in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:53 
Participant in dramatic games

stil no official mms & videocamera app... without mms i would miss out a hell of alot

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]