Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wiring your own joystick controller
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 0:06 
Beloved member

I acquired for 99p a small arcade-like joystick from a Gamestation today (don't ask). Not a bad little device, got a microswitched 'Lollipop'
style joystick which seems to work OK. Ish.

Now, it's PS1 stick. So I could use it with my PS2 (not likely, as it hasn't been plugged in since 2005), or with my Mac (for MAME) with the USB convertor I have. OR! I vaguely know about hobbyistcreating their own 'arcade style' joysticks. NGamer even did a feature on how to create your own, out of parts from eBay and some wood and acrylic. Theoretically, wouldn't it be possible to yank out the innards of this pre-existing joystick, and rewire to work as a Gamecube controller?

Post subject: Re: Wiring your own joystick controller
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 0:27 
Gogmagog

Yes.

it is.

Post subject: Re: Wiring your own joystick controller
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 0:45 
Esoteric

Hero of Excellence wrote:
Theoretically, wouldn't it be possible to yank out the innards of this pre-existing joystick, and rewire to work as a Gamecube controller?

Many years ago I was tired of all the so called 'arcade joysticks' for consoles. Quite simply as they were crap and uber expensive..

I went to Deith Leisure in New Malden (Surrey) and brought myself.

1. 'lollipop' stick you speak of. It was 4 quid.
2. 6 Buttons and a cool white one with a male toilet sign thing on it (hopefully that'll make sense) They were 80p each.

All of which of course came with microswitches. Real heavyweight microswitches.

Then I stripped out a 6 button Sega MD pad and discovered that on the circuit there were round metal things that had a jagged 'crack' down them. To connect the circuit there was a rubber thing with some kind of conductor in it.

So I tinned the circuit and off of each printed circuit I put one half of the circle to the hot on the microswitch and the other to the ground. This meant that my microswitch was now completing the circuit. Did that throughout the pad and ended up making a 3/4" MDF casing and had an indestructable game pad. Nice part was the PCB from the controller had screw holes in, so I screwed it into the MDF casing for a nice safe mounting place :)

In later years I took a keyboard and did the same, basically making my own dual X arcade unit for about 30 pounds.. So yes, I would imagine the NGC controller would be able to be used as a interface for you to solder onto and wire up that stick and some buttons :) I know the PS2 pad inside and that would be ok, just never had to take apart a NGC controller (yet. And I stress yet haha).

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]