Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Multiple 360s tech questions
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 16:13 
Excellent Painter

I've just bought another 360 with a 60Gb HDD. OK, I want to replace the 20Gb machine in the sitting room with the new one and transfer all of the info over to the new machine - I know I need a transfer cable for that (the very helpful MS will take a sprightly SIX FUCKING WEEKS to send me one). The older machine will then be used in the bedroom, where it won't initially have an internet connection.

So, I have some questions.

1. Could I just plug the new machine into the net, migrate my ID via Live and just transfer the few save files I have over manually using a memory card?
2. If I want to play on the other machine can I transfer my ID onto that as it stands - not too fussed about DRMed XBLA titles as I only really play GW:RE2, but I'd like to know if it's possible to maintain the same ID on more than one machine - gamerpoints aren't an issue as such but I'd rather not be swapping HDDs all the bleeding time.

I'm expecting a resounding "NO" to most of these answers.

Post subject: Re: Multiple 360s tech questions
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 16:18 

Your best bet for now is to move your Xbox profile and a couple of current savegames onto the memory card, then move that memory card between machines. That'll work as long as you don't hit a game that won't let you move the saves.

Profiles can only be in one place at once. If you do Recover Profile From Live on one box, the other one won't be able to sign in until you do another Recover process on there - and you have to fuck about entering passwords. Best to keep the profile on the memory card, as that's the easiest to move.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 16:22 
Excellent Painter

I figured as much. I'll get a memory card tomorrow when I have to buy "another" HDMI cable when my new supersexyamp is delivered by my Bro'.

OH, Rich, I inadvertently double posted this topic - could ya delete it for me, ta.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 13:53 
Excellent Painter

OK, this is what I've found out which I will post for future reference.

You can move profiles, they're quite small, but you can't copy them as far as I can figure out. Ergo, you can keep it on a memory card if you so desire and move it from machine to machine or you can keep it on one machine or another, but you don't appear to be able to have it on two machines at once.

My XBLA stuff is copyable so I have it on both machines.

Game saves, funnily enough, though you can copy them, only work with the profiles that originated them. Mostly. I say this as it appears to be the case for most of them but I haven't checked all of them.

You can install the same game on more than one machine unlike what I was told by one member of UGVM who said that you can only install the games on one machine (this didn't make sense to me when he mentioned it, as I couldn't see how the disc would know it had already been installed elsewhere). Obviously, as you need the disc in to play them it's a moot point anyway.

Also, if like me you keep your HDD free of millions of XBLA games as you can always redownload them if needs be, then you can do the transfer quite easily without needing the transfer cable by using a readily available from most stores memory card.

I think that's pretty much all my questions covered.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 13:58 

Quote:
You can install the same game on more than one machine unlike what I was told by one member of UGVM who said that you can only install the games on one machine (this didn't make sense to me when he mentioned it, as I couldn't see how the disc would know it had already been installed elsewhere). Obviously, as you need the disc in to play them it's a moot point anyway.

Your entire post is correct but I can clear up some confusion here.

If you install a game to a hard drive, you CAN'T move that hard drive to another machine and expect the install to work, which is presumably what he's confusing.

And also a really silly restriction as you point out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 20:11 
making out to faces of death

DBSnappa wrote:
1. Could I just plug the new machine into the net, migrate my ID via Live and just transfer the few save files I have over manually using a memory card?
2. If I want to play on the other machine can I transfer my ID onto that as it stands - not too fussed about DRMed XBLA titles as I only really play GW:RE2, but I'd like to know if it's possible to maintain the same ID on more than one machine - gamerpoints aren't an issue as such but I'd rather not be swapping HDDs all the bleeding time.

I'm expecting a resounding "NO" to most of these answers.

Yes to number one, because I did that. Some games won't do it though. Number two, I don't know, but I put my gamer id on my memory card so if I want I can use it on any funsquare, I guess.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]