Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Major push onto Steam by EA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 14:00 

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/16104
Quote:
Well, the Spore license agreement's appearance on Steam last week was no coincidence. Shacknews reports that a handful of games published by Electronic Arts are now available for purchase on Steam.

Steam's EA catalog includes Spore, of course, alongside Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, Mass Effect, and Need for Speed Undercover. And there's more where that came from: Steam users will reportedly be able to purchase Dead Space, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3, and Mirror's Edge "in the coming weeks."

According to Shacknews, Steam versions of these games may not include the same SecuROM copy protection software as retail copies. This DRM software has generated a strong reaction for limiting the number of times users can install games in some cases. One user even sued EA over the way SecuROM quietly installs itself and operates alongside Spore.
I think this is a major development, a huge boost for Steam, and an interesting move by EA to Steam's more consumer-friendly DRM. If the future of gaming is digital distribution, it's looking -- to me at least -- that that will be Steam on the PC.

Post subject: Re: Major push onto Steam by EA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 14:04 

I know Dudley hates it but, aside from some recent small issues running Fallout 3, Steam has always seemed like a most excellent service to me. I'd be nice if you could display prices in Pounds Sterling with VAT already added though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 14:08 

I'd argue that the two most popular digital distribution platforms today (Steam and iTunes) both have unusually permissive DRM schemes. I don't think this is a coincidence either. The Steam Cloud stuff, with savegames and config stored on the serverside, is very clever indeed, and permitting unlimited PC installs with no need to have the disc in the drive makes Steam preferable to DVD based copies.

iTunes, meanwhile, allows (sort of) unlimited burning of protected to CD, and an unlimited number of iPods and up to five computers to play back the content. Again, I think that's pretty reasonable.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 14:09 
UltraMod

I thought the big brouhaha about it was that it now does show the prices in sterling with VAT? People have been complaining about 8-20% markup on the game prices since the change.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 14:11 

It does? Last time I went on there was a few weeks ago to buy Fallout 3 and it was still in dollars then.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 14:35 

It changed to spond prices about a week ago. Gillen mentioned it on Rock Paper Shotgun in one of his Valve-fawn-o-thons.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 14:37 

Zio-lent Night wrote:
I know Dudley hates it but, aside from some recent small issues running Fallout 3, Steam has always seemed like a most excellent service to me. I'd be nice if you could display prices in Pounds Sterling with VAT already added though.

I wouldn't say hate, it's just got the same problem most download services do, it's giving me less for the same price. When it's actually cheaper I buy things.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 14:39 
UltraMod

Yep, digital downloads should be significantly cheaper. If they're not, I'll always buy the physical product. See also: Xbox Originals.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 14:43 

But what if -- like with the EA titles -- the physical product has much more restrictive DRM?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 14:44 
UltraMod

A moot point for me, as I don't buy games like that, physically or digitally.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 14:47 

Doctor GlyNadolig wrote:
But what if -- like with the EA titles -- the physical product has much more restrictive DRM?

EA's boxed product DRM is no more restrictive than Steam now as far as I can tell.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 14:47 
Skillmeister

I wish PC gaming was more cost effective. The cheap software prices don't mask the 500+ ponds I'd have to spend every year or two to be able to play them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 16:51 
Excellent Member

i only see usefulness on Steam when it comes to purchasing indie games, or the weekend deals. Otherwise they're always more expensive than the physical copies, specially now that 1€=1$ (according to valve)

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]