Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Why is everything so crap these days?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 21:36 
Isn't that lovely?

I ordered a bunk bed recently, and after taking the money out of my account straight away, there was no contact as to when the bed might be delivered, so my girlfriend pestered them for ages and ages and they claimed they would call back later, or the next day, or the next week, and they never did, eventually they said it would turn up on the 8th, and get this, it did. So I signed for the 4 boxes and left them until tonight.

Tonight I unpacked everything and checked off all the items on the checklist, everything seemed present and correct. Then it came to start putting the bits and peices together. So we start off with the foot of the top bed being connected to the steel polls that will support it. I put one side on fine, and then I come to the other, the top hole fits fine, but the bottom one is about 4 inches (10cm) out. I assume I have the wrong peice and go looking for others, but none of them seem to match. They have given me 2 peices of metal that are completely useless to me.

Now, I think they have known about this issue, and they were trying to get in new stock to replace this faulty batch, but with our constant pressure on them, they have decided to ship out this dodgy bed to keep us quiet for a few days. Now obviously I have no idea if this is true or not, but it's the sort of thing I can imagine companies would do.

Should I bring this up when I phone them? or should I just ask for the replacement parts to be shipped out to me? I guess they are going to deny it either way, and I obviously have no proof, and it may just be a genuine mistake. It just gets me so depressed and annoyed that I've wasted about 90 minutes of my time on this (just tonight, god knows how long Pauline's spent on the phone to them) and the kids are sleeping on matresses on the floor again tonight)

It really is crap.

Malc

Post subject: Re: Why is everything so crap these days?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 22:22 

This is going to sound really silly, but try putting on the dodgy pieces in all possible rotations and orientations. I had a similar problem with an IKEA bed and it turned out that the wood just needed to be turned 180 degrees :P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:16 
Isn't that lovely?

GazChap wrote:
This is going to sound really silly, but try putting on the dodgy pieces in all possible rotations and orientations. I had a similar problem with an IKEA bed and it turned out that the wood just needed to be turned 180 degrees :P

I really did try all possible angles, the problem is the distance between the sets of holes.

Malc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:29 
EvilTrousers

Spinglo All The Way! wrote:
They have given me 2 peices of metal that are completely useless to me.

Sounds like a similar experience I had with MFI. Total load of shite they sent me - almost a mix and match of various furniture parts in the same range that I only needed 80% of and another 10% were missing.

After they sent me the right stuff (2 weeks later) I just had a load of spare stuff lying around so I thought about putting a website together where people can put there spares up and then see if anyone wants them rather than just waste them (the store didn't want them back). I even went as far as registering a domain then realised it was just a load of work for no money that I didn't really have the time for and my web skills are 7 or 8 light years away from being "l33t" etc.

If you ring them they will probably send you the replacement parts - moan loud enough and they usually ship 'em next day.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:31 
Master of dodgy spelling....

When we got all out bedroom stuff from IKEA, a few parts was missing, they were shipped straight away..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 16:23 
Honey Boo Boo

We were given two left-hand supports instead of a left and a right when we bought a shelving unit from Ikea. They happily swapped it for us at the store. Less happy was getting it (it's eight feet long) in and out of the car another two times.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 16:51 
Sitting balls-back folder

Whereas I've put together 5 Benno CD/DVD racks this week, and ended up with a bunch of extra cams, dowls and tacks.

IN UR IKEA, STEALIN UR BITZ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 16:53 
baron of techno

Drill another hole in the right place maybe? I know it's their fault and everything but if you need a thing doing right...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 16:56 
Isn't that lovely?

kalmarzipan wrote:
Drill another hole in the right place maybe? I know it's their fault and everything but if you need a thing doing right...

I would do, but I don't have a drill bit wide enough and even if I did, I'd have a horrible hole in 2 of my kids bed posts...

Malc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 17:22 
Excellent Painter

Ha. We wangled a deal a few years ago with MFI to get our kitchen units for free if we bought the appliances and paid for the install - we basically organised a magazine feature to cover the makeover - they get free publicity we get a massively cheaper kitcher - £4k instead of £10k or something. They sent a bunch of fitters around who duly ripped our existing kitchen out only to discover MFI had fucked up the delivery so much they had to leave after a day as 50% of the units were missing, including quite importantly the sink and all it's plumbing. 8 fucking days without a kitchen - I went ballistic, got them to agree to pay the fitting costs and cover our eating out expenses for the time they took to install the kitchen - they did try making us have takeaways but as I correctly pointed out, I'm not washing my fucking dishes upstairs in a cast iron bath, otherwise they'd be looking at a huge bill to replace all the accidentally broken crockery and fucked bath from washing metal pans and what have you.

I also hate Ikea as well - they're shit.

I make most of my own shelving and cabinets now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 17:55 
Sitting balls-back folder

I hate IKEA as well, but can't afford proper carpentry and have not the time, patience or confidence to DIM. So, given a choice between IKEA and Argos, IKEA gets it. And to be fair, these Bennos are pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 18:28 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

MFI sent me my kitchen and it was all fine.. apart from the smallest of metal things that held a drawer handle in.

I phoned them but they were a bunch of tossers who couldn't care less and wouldn't send me one.... I went to a store (not the one I bought it from admittedly) but they were tossers too so in the end I went to MFI with my screw driver in hand, and helped myself to the piece I needed.

Job done.. nice and simple!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 19:31 
Honey Boo Boo

I suppose it's at this point I have to reiterate the tale of how the Currys delivery men carefully dropped my new refrigerator onto its own mains plug, breaking it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 19:34 
baron of techno

SnowAngel wrote:
I suppose it's at this point I have to reiterate the tale of how the Currys delivery men carefully dropped my new refrigerator onto its own mains plug, breaking it.

You should have sued their arses!

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]