Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: The plural of THESIS is HATE
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 13:33 
I forgot about this - how vain

As I'm sure I've bored you all to death with already. I'm writing a Thesis at the moment. And it's killing me.

I know some of you here have written thesii* here. Do you have any advice? Or horror stories? Lets have a thread about how writing lots IS THE WORSE THING IN THE WORLD.

I'm sitting a computer about 18 hours a day at the minute (slept 6 till 10 last night) and it's DRIVING ME INSANE.

Me I'm using Latex and I've written 85 pages so far (including figures, and contents and so on). Once I'm finished I may never write again and throw my ibook in a fire. Then once the fire is out salt the earth so nothing may grow there forever more.

That and you are constantly battling this:

Seriously fuck people who wrote their thesisiums* before the advent of the internet. You had it easy you dicks!

* who the fuck knows, thesises? thesisies?

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

Post subject: Re: The plural of THESIS is HATE
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 13:45 
baron of techno

Thetans. They've come for your mind.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 13:46 
lazy eye patch

Lave wrote:
I'm sitting a computer about 18 hours a day at the minute (slept 6 till 10 last night) and it's DRIVING ME INSANE.

That's what, I would estimate, 80% of the people on this board do inc. myself. Except for when I go to the loo.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 13:48 

CUS wrote:
Lave wrote:

That's what, I would estimate, 80% of the people on this board do inc. myself. Except for when I go to the loo.

No laptop CUS?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 13:49 
lazy eye patch

My penis is also in my lap, though, and that's the whole point of going to the toilet in the first place. I apologize in advance, Lave, if this now becomes the 'Do you use your laptop on the bog?' thread... I have nothing to offer, sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 13:52 
Legendary Boogeyman

I remember late nights and early mornings when I was doing my final year project at Uni, but that was purely because I'm a bad student who spent most of the year not doing the work I should have, and crammed most of it in at the end. As such I have no sympathy for myself. If that's what you've done here, I can't feel sorry for you either Lave, although I'll agree finding the motivation is hard.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 13:53 

CUS wrote:
Lave wrote:

Well 1) Thats fucking retarded, and 2) as did I, but now I can't just say 'fuck it' - and so it's become A FESTIVAL OF PAIN.

CUS wrote:
My penis is also in my lap, though, and that's the whole point of going to the toilet in the first place. I apologize in advance, Lave, if this now becomes the 'Do you use your laptop on the bog?' thread... I have nothing to offer, sorry.

Don't worry it's more of a RAGE THREAD at the moment.

ARGH!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 13:54 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

I think the plural is Faeces, or Theses.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 13:54 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I think the most important thing is to make sure you make time for a break. Say next Thursday, 7pm-Midnight.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 13:56 

Getting started is always really difficult, especially as I've never been good at sticking to self-imposed deadlines. When I got really stuck, I had to pull the network cable out. From time to time I would even resort to VI just to bash things out. I don't like working late but would munch raisains and sip on one glass of port* to keep myself going.
I somehow managed to turn in a quasi-acceptable piece but if I find out that anyone other than the examiners has read it there will be hurt.

Good luck!

* seriously. I would never drink and work normally, but I found I could make a tumbler of port last the session. Drank pints and pints of water though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 13:58 
Hibernating Druid

Copy 3 different thesises from the internet but swap them round a bit.

And put your name on the bottom.

Sorted.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 14:00 

And I wished I'd thought of the following as a thesis topic rather than the one I chose:

< http://www.gnxp.com/blog/2008/06/your-g ... e-into.php >

It's a time-analysis of the age of Playboy pin-ups and Miss America winners.
Probably SFW...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 14:02 

ComicalGnomes wrote:
I remember late nights and early mornings when I was doing my final year project at Uni, but that was purely because I'm a bad student who spent most of the year not doing the work I should have, and crammed most of it in at the end. As such I have no sympathy for myself. If that's what you've done here, I can't feel sorry for you either Lave, although I'll agree finding the motivation is hard.

Oh god, don't get me started on why the deadline has become so massively important, because it's down to the university being COMPLETE CUNTS. Rather than any of my procrastination.

Fuck it: Short version. My PhD is a new fangled 4 year one. Which requires a 1/3 more content than a 3 year one. But unlike the 3rd year Phd where you're money runs out and then you've got a year to submit it before anything bad happens to the uni, they've decided NOW that if I submit a day late, then the university gets the same consequences as a 3 year PhD student overan into a 5th year - which is losing funding for a PhD place.

And as I lost a month of work due to my Dad breaking his back, and I've not got a supervisor for the last three months of my PhD because she's had a baby. This sudden deadline has become, what you might call, tight.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 14:06 

Lave wrote:
I've not got a supervisor for the last three months of my PhD

Is there nobody else providing cover in the department? If not, she's really dropped you into the gooey stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 14:06 
INFINITE POWAH

Lave wrote:
This sudden deadline has become, what you might call, tight.

Good job your science is too, then, eh? :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 14:08 

Kern wrote:
Getting started is always really difficult, especially as I've never been good at sticking to self-imposed deadlines. When I got really stuck, I had to pull the network cable out. From time to time I would even resort to VI just to bash things out. I don't like working late but would munch raisains and sip on one glass of port* to keep myself going.
I somehow managed to turn in a quasi-acceptable piece but if I find out that anyone other than the examiners has read it there will be hurt.

Good luck!

* seriously. I would never drink and work normally, but I found I could make a tumbler of port last the session. Drank pints and pints of water though.

Drinking (a little) whilst working is seriously was of the most consistent pieces of advice i've had. I think because you are a little drunk you lower you standards to what you are writing so you get something down on paper - and as we know that is half the battle.

Unfortunately, I've got an astygmatism (?), so drinking makes my eyesight a little squiffy, so I get headaches when I've tried it. Still I think its really good advice if you can do it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 14:10 

Kern wrote:
Lave wrote:
I've not got a supervisor for the last three months of my PhD

Is there nobody else providing cover in the department? If not, she's really dropped you into the gooey stuff.

A bad ass has come out of retirement (like a fucking rambo flick) to help out. Because he is awesome.

Unfortunately though, he's got no idea about the code I can't get to run, that really needs to. So it isn't brilliant.

A still fucking adore him for it though.

Oh and my second supervisors current help extends to checking if he was my second supervisor. 2 years ago.

God, I'll probably melt Beteo's swear filter as this cocking rate.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 14:12 
lazy eye patch

Fitbin!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 14:20 

Kern wrote:
And I wished I'd thought of the following as a thesis topic rather than the one I chose:

< http://www.gnxp.com/blog/2008/06/your-g ... e-into.php >

It's a time-analysis of the age of Playboy pin-ups and Miss America winners.
Probably SFW...

That is amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 20:31 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Might sound obvious, but eat healthily. When I was doing my masters' thesis I ate nothing but biscuits and tea. As such I slept poorly, meaning I wastired and couldn't concentrate, etc. And go for a jog or something as well. Sleep with the window open, and get some ear plugs. Don't bother setting an alarm, it is better to wake up naturally and be alert than be forced awake and be tired and just trudge around all day.

Obviously, these things may not help you, but I wish someone had told me these things.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 20:33 
Excellent Member

No help here im afraid, but anecdotally everyone I know with a PhD supports your theory of " its a living hell" and recommended me not to do one.

So, you are in good company, as in, everyone else was in hell too.

You will get through it in the end.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 20:37 

Dunno if mine was a living hell but I certainly went very close to going out of my mind with stress and worry. I know I've told you the story before. All I can advise is to hang in there, you are certainly not in a worse state than I was (I was still generating data for my thesis up until a fortnight before the end of Year Four!) and I got there.

I have a 29Mb ish PDF of my thesis if you want a complete one as some sort of icon. I did mine in LaTeX too. Could be worse, you could have attempted it in Word, like loons in my department did.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 22:55 
Serious Little Beast

My wife is currently writing up her thesis too - 148 pages so far, LaTeX again. She has reached the point where if you ask how it's going, her eyes well up and her knees knock. She's only doing it for the squashy hat. Rather than look at the Internet, she does DIY - I came home to find one coat of white paint on the Kitchen on Friday.

Her funding ran out on the 1st of July, at which point we get hit with the lovely double whammy of having to pay full council tax rather than 75%, and having to give the Uni £200 to keep her registered for her writing up year. She intends to finish by September. *touches, nay grips wood until fingernails leave marks in the grain*

I limit myself to technical support and discovering random tools on the MacUpdate RSS feed that make life easier. Plus tea and biscuits.

The Mac suite of tools for LaTeX writing really is rather wonderful. We use TeXShop and BibDesk, supplemented with R for the stats and OmniGraffle for the graphs. LaTeXIT also deserves props for providing a sane alternative to Microsoft Equation Editor.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 23:13 
Chinny chin chin

ComicalGnomes wrote:
I remember late nights and early mornings when I was doing my final year project at Uni,

Late nights/early mornings are a good time to get work done though as you have less distractions.

I'm under huge work pressures at the moment, so much so that I've had to order a Jesuslaptop so I can late night work at home + during the weekends. Previously as I was using a PC in the office I could work on the laptop but a side effect of buying the Jesuscomputer for work now means I need a Jesuslaptop as well to work at home. Gah!

But I work best at about 2am anyway. Which was what I was planning to do tonight until I found I had to be up at 9am. And I was in the right state of mind as well having sunk 2/3 of a bottle of Moet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:56 

Dawn of the last day - 24 hours remain.

Attachment:
The_Majora's_Mask_Moon.jpg

To everyone who has submitted a thesis here, I fucking bow my head in amazement at you.

I've 24 hours to finish my thesis before I miss a deadline that will get me in lots of trouble with lots of people. 8) :nerd: 8) (For which I could rant a great deal about people screwing me over with - but thats a moan for when it means I fail my viva... RARG)

I've had an hour nap.

Fuck.

Whoever was thinking about doing a PhD. Don't.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:56 
Gogmagog

Good luck, C'p'n.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:07 
Hibernating Druid

Should we all write a line or two for you?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:11 
Excellent Member

Best of luck mate. Me, I was always tops at exams and but completely useless at dissertations. I'm a remarkably punchy and fun essay writer, beyond that I'm guff.

Got my fingers crossed for ya. Hope through many coffees you somehow attain a state of thesis-completing-super-time-speed-grace like that bit in Futurama when Fry drinks his hundredth cup of coffee. (Or was it ninety-ninth?)

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:16 
Excellent Member

I'm about to complete my application for a Masters. I'm totally apprehensive, especially as I've not studied anything since I was 16. So, you know, all this is really cheering me up.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:51 

Thanks guys. :hug:

Plissken wrote:
I'm about to complete my application for a Masters. I'm totally apprehensive, especially as I've not studied anything since I was 16. So, you know, all this is really cheering me up.

No one enjoys the last few weeks of a course, but I would hate my moaning to actually put you off your course. I'm just stressed.

Might have a nap...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:46 

I did it, Lave, and I was fucking useless. You can do this!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:55 
Best
Board Mother

Plissken - go for it so we can stress together!

Lave - you can do it, you've come this far, have a nap if you need one and take a deep breath.

#Go Lave, Go Lave#

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:56 
What-ho, chaps!

Quote:

Oh. Okay.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:58 

MrD wrote:
Quote:
Oh. Okay.
He'll change his tune. I did.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 13:06 
Excellent Member

Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Good idea!

With BETEO as my support group, what could possibly go wrong?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 13:34 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

You'll be fine, Lave, so good luck.

Also: hurry up so we can have some Skeptobot updates.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 14:04 
Best
Board Mother

Plissken wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Good idea!

With BETEO as my support group, what could possibly go wrong?

:D :nerd: 8) :S :munkeh: :ninja: :smug:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 14:10 

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
:D :nerd: 8) :S :munkeh: :ninja: :smug:
So, you'd be laughing along, then your mood would be ruined by a vicious monkey slash ninja attack, but you'd beat them off and then feel smug about it?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 14:15 
Best
Board Mother

Absolutly!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 14:18 
Excellent Member

As excuses go, it beats the shit out of "the dog ate my thesis".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 14:22 
Skillmeister

I have every confidence in Lave getting this done.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 14:28 
UltraMod

Lave wrote:
Might have a nap...

You've already had one today, good God man!

Get writing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 14:48 
Gogmagog

Fuck your thesis, where's my fucking book?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 16:01 
Excellent Member

Well, I got accepted on the course.

*whimpers*

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 16:04 
Gogmagog

Congratulations.

So, who, here, actually HAS a job, nowadays?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 16:04 
Excellent Member

Me. This is a online MSc I'll be doing in my spare time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 16:09 
Best
Board Mother

Plissken wrote:

Oooh ditto, we really can panic together!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 16:16 

Plissken wrote:
How long does it take to type in your card details to pay the $49?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 16:26 

Ooh look Mr PHD is getting all qualification snobberised.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 16:28 

Dudley wrote:
Ooh look Mr PHD is getting all qualification snobberised.

Ahem. "Dr PhD" thank you.

Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next