Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: Midgets
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 19:17 

I've just a seen a version of Burtank with the midget from the radio station ads in.

Attachment:
Picture 1.jpg

That's the one.

I feel a horrible mixture of anger and dread at these adverts because of a couple of things.

The advert isn't funny in the slightest. Realising this some advertising bod has clearly gone 'you know what's funny? Midgets!' and so put a midget in the frame. So far, so sensible. What mixes uncomforatbly with this, though, is something terrible. I have what is almost a phobia of midgets. I know, that's horrible, isn't it? It's not something that I want to have, and if I see a midget in teh street I do not run away screaming, but it came about because of the first time I went to London (central London) with a friend from school. I was on Oxford Street, chatting to my friend about what to do next, when suddenly I sensed there was something in front of me, I looked down and jumped. It really startled me, but there was a midget handing out leaflets/flyers 'smaller than your average prices' or something like that. When I jumped I also made a kind of 'eeeeeeee' noise.

It wasn't purposeful, I didn't see anyone there and it took me by surprise, but this really annoyed teh midget and he started yelling at me 'what, am I some kind of FREAK?!' He called me a bitch. I felt terrible, but I didn't know what to say. I didn't startle because he was a midget - if it had been a child, a dog, whatever, I would have jumped - I wasn't expectng anyone/thing to have walked between my friend and I so close without me seeing.

Anyway, I've been kind of scared of midgets since that day. :(

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Midgets
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 19:19 

Also:

Attachment:
Picture 1.jpg

?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 19:22 

That's Peter Dinklage, isn't it? The guy in The Station Agent? Which is an ace film I strongly recommend.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 19:24 

I just google image searched and I can't tell if it is the same guy or not.

I should have mentioned that I started this thread because I am about to attempt to watch 'Willow' for the first time ever.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 19:31 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
That's Peter Dinklage, isn't it? The guy in The Station Agent? Which is an ace film I strongly recommend.

I'm glad you've asked that. I wanted to (because I've been thinking it was him, every time I saw the ad on the telly), but then if it turned out it wasn't him, I'd feel a bit embarrassed and maybe feel bad for thinking "all midgets look the same", or something!

Erm, anyway, whether it's him or not, The Station Agent is one of my bestest films, and is just wonderful.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 19:41 
Excellent Painter

I think that's the guy from In Bruges, which you haven't seen you should, it's fucking beyond awesome

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 19:44 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

DBSnappa wrote:
I think that's the guy from In Bruges, which you haven't seen you should, it's fucking beyond awesome

"What are they doing over there? They're filming something. They're filming midgets!"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 19:53 

I am watching Willow. I have changed my mind, Willow is acebest.

Maybe I just don't like rude and obnoxious midgets, much like I don't like rude and obnoxious 6ft tall people.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 19:56 
baron of techno

Morte wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:

"What are they doing over there? They're filming something. They're filming midgets!"

Yeah I was just coming in to post that :D

DBSnappa wrote:

Ah, you're quite right, and it's Jordan Prentice.

Skillmeister

I personally volunteer to follow Mimi around for the rest of her life, booting any midgets out of the way and shielding them from view while she walks past them. I can do this while crying and howling if you like.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 20:02 

Dimrill wrote:
I personally volunteer to follow Mimi around for the rest of her life, booting any midgets out of the way and shielding them from view while she walks past them. I can do this while crying and howling if you like.

:luv: Dimrill.

Only obnoxious ones, though. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 20:03 

It's the least you can do.

Edit: @ Dimrill.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 21:33 
Paws for thought

Midgets, eh?

(searching for "closet midget" seems so wrong. How do you come out of that closet? Hi Mum, Dad, there's something I need to tell you... I'm a midget...... No, really?)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 22:32 
Excellent Member

Aw, Mimi! *hugs*

I know what it's like to have phobias of things that make other people go, "Whuh!?" After all, the full size of my Dimlie avatar is me running away terrified of a pylon, which I had a phobia of until the age of nine. (However, I guess that pylons wouldn't scream at me or make me feel guilty, so you win.)

Anyway, try Time Bandits. It's awesome and lovely. Also, Princess Bride, because Fenzini the Scicilian is quite short. However, Time Bandits may give you nightmares of hugely tall sheeps-skull headed things. Um yes.

But it was a very rude midget who you encountered there. I would have thought, "Fair enough, your initial inability to see me and my sudden appearance in such close proximity would have alarmed anyone, I can see where you're coming from." But then I am notoriously pleasant minded.

Also, Peter Dinklage is a fucking grand actor. I really hope he isn't appearing in shitty adverts.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:56 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
I've just a seen a version of Burtank with the midget from the radio station ads in.

Attachment:
Picture 1.jpg

That's the one.

I feel a horrible mixture of anger and dread at these adverts because of a couple of things.

The advert isn't funny in the slightest. Realising this some advertising bod has clearly gone 'you know what's funny? Midgets!' and so put a midget in the frame. So far, so sensible. What mixes uncomforatbly with this, though, is something terrible. I have what is almost a phobia of midgets. I know, that's horrible, isn't it? It's not something that I want to have, and if I see a midget in teh street I do not run away screaming, but it came about because of the first time I went to London (central London) with a friend from school. I was on Oxford Street, chatting to my friend about what to do next, when suddenly I sensed there was something in front of me, I looked down and jumped. It really startled me, but there was a midget handing out leaflets/flyers 'smaller than your average prices' or something like that. When I jumped I also made a kind of 'eeeeeeee' noise.

It wasn't purposeful, I didn't see anyone there and it took me by surprise, but this really annoyed teh midget and he started yelling at me 'what, am I some kind of FREAK?!' He called me a bitch. I felt terrible, but I didn't know what to say. I didn't startle because he was a midget - if it had been a child, a dog, whatever, I would have jumped - I wasn't expectng anyone/thing to have walked between my friend and I so close without me seeing.

Anyway, I've been kind of scared of midgets since that day. :(

You should have put an upturned litter bin on his head. The pushed him over and rolled him down a hill. Imagine his little legs kicking about. Hoho.

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]